What's new

Best Buy -- Many Superbit DVDs now $9.99 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Neither does Starship Troopers, or Leon The Professional.

Just found out that Das Boot is now listed as $9.99 on the BB website.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Posted at DVDTalk by NatrlBornThrllr, from the new Best Buy in-store promo 'magazine' called "DVD Insider: Ultimate Back to School Guide":

Now go get Closer, Starship Troopers, Das Boot, Leon The Professional, and all those other Superbits that aren't ringing up properly :)

SteveCallas

Second Unit
You may want to hold off on Leon the Professional Superbit - I have been keeping track of this movie's many dvd versions and the superbit has the defunct audio track. The newer Deluxe Edition is the one to get - SB picture quality and the corrected audio track, plus some good extras.

John*D

Second Unit
Looks like BestBuy is offloading SONY's stuff in anticipation for Blu-Ray!!!

I was going to get some superbits but I think I'm going to hold off until HD.

RobertJB

Auditioning
I went in to my local Best Buy yesterday and they had the display with a sign saying all SB DVDs 9.99 until September 3. None of the three I bought had 9.99 stickers on them, but all rang up at 9.99.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
picked up Closer today.

it rang up 22.99 tag was 19.99.
so i mentioned that all sb are 9.99.
"what"
"see right here in this add, says so here."
"were is this add from?"
so i was alittle dumbfounded by that question.
since the add was in the magazine found all over the store.

"it's from your add in this magazine thats all over the store."

so she calls the mngr over, he says it's ok.

she askes him if she should keep the add.

so i point out to her that the add is in a magazine that is all over the store uncluding "right behind you in that stack over there."

"oh"

idiots.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I wish I could say that that was a surprising anecdote, but I can't...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I looked all over my local BB for the "Back to School" DVD Insider magazine, but came up empty, so I didn't have any leverage for trying to get Closer, Leon DE, or Fifth Element UE for $9.99 each (all are Superbit titles). Funny enough, Brown Bunny is also a Superbit title.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah my local store doesn't have an "all SB titles for $9.99" sign either or else I would have fought to get Closer at that price. With no sign or any indication that all SBs should be at that price, I don't think I'm going to try and argue.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Yes, avoid Léon. I made that mistake, and still think Sony should trade it for the 10 Anniv/Deluxe Ed!

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Man...I'm tempted to get Lawrence of Arabia, but I have a feeling that it will be released fairly early on in the HD DVD era (once everthing gets sorted out). I think I'll stick with the original for now...

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Johnny Mnemonic and Gattaca Superbit's are now the only Widescreen versions available of these titles.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I got Lawrence on Superbit simply because it is apparently the only one that uses the restored and properly color corrected Harris and Katz restoration of the film (none of the other DVDs including the 3 discer uses that transfer).

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes

Yeah...I'd thought of that. I am assuming (hoping?) the eventualy HD DVD will use the correct color and so forth.

I used to double dip all the time, but with HD DVD coming eventually (even if 2 or 3 years) I've held back.

For $10, I might have to change my mind.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

In my case, I can't give up the great extras from the old 2-disc set.

For me, the story told in a good set of extras is just as fascinating as the story told in the movie.

Sure I could keep multiple copies of movies, but that's not really practical when you consider the number of SB titles.

I did upgrade BS Dracula because the old disc had no extras, or even a menu really.

Even that's a sore point actually, because CTHV should have put out BS Dracula SE with the old LD documentary.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I gave in and bought. The Best Buy near me had no clue about the specials on the Super Bits. No display, no signs, nothing. The guy I talked to in the DVD department was shocked when it came up $9.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks