What's new

Best Buy & Circuit City - Thanksgiving sale items (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I recently bought a 65" TV from Circuit City and their $55 delivery service was one of the best experiences I've ever had with a product delivery. They unpacked and set up both the TV and stand, made sure it was working, gave me a quick lesson on using the remote, carted away all the packing materials, and carted away the old 55", 250 lb. TV. Very professional.

As for AVSForum, I believe the reason they don't allow price discussions is because they are directly affiliated with certain retailers.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
No slight against Jersey intended. Though I do worry about grey-market or just plain counterfeit goods from places like that so I stick with known retailers. When I was a teen though I would sometimes buy camera lenses from those kinds of places.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I saw a scan of the ad online and it's legitimate: CC is offering a 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV for $1299.99, and the 52" model is also on sale for $2199.99. The scan is a bit blurry, but I think the model numbers are LC-46D64U and LC-52D64U respectively. Heckuva deal on both. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
In my area, the flyers / inserts for BF sales usually arrive in Thursday's paper (i.e. Thanksgiving Day morning), though a few end up in Wednesday's paper.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, most stores will have an ad that runs from Sunday to Wednesday and then have a Black Friday ad that will cover Friday and Saturday. Of course, none of the good deals will be available after sunrise on Friday morning let alone on Saturday but what the heck.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
CNN is reporting today -- so I guess it is ok to say it here -- a Polaroid 42-inch widescreen 1080p LCD high-def TV for $798 at WalMart. If it is in fact a native 1080p display and not a misreported 1080i (aka native 720p display), then that's arguably a better deal than the 42" Sharp Aquos 720p from Circuit City that will be the same price.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
so how many of these TVs do the stores typically carry? I'm considering getting in line on Thursday evening at Circuit City in Manhattan.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not sure that a Polaroid 1080p is a better deal than a Sharp 720p at the same price. Isn't Polaroid one of those brands that you can't get repaired once the warranty is up?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
All things being equal, I'd rather pay the difference for the Sharp. For me, Polaroid will always be synonymous with the instant camera.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Oh - my - Gosh! I want that 65'' DLP! There is the slightest chance I may get it - anyone have any thoughts on that model?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I sure wish I was in the market for a t.v., because I would be all over that 65" DLP. My brother in law has the Samsung, I think 55 inch DLP 1080p and every thing looks great on that tv since every thing is scaled to 1080p. Mitsubishi is a good brand I wouldn't worry about it and get it. I wonder if DLP is the next CRT as to becoming obsolete.

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
That Mits deal got me and my friends to crack and start TV shopping. Myself and one other friend ended up ordering from Amazon however to get the free TV stand (my current stand that I use for a 46" Mits CRT would have fit the TV, but my center channel sets on top of the TV... that's a no-go on the 65"... so I needed a new stand).

However, a third friend went to Best Buy and bought the TV straight up last week. He's gambling he can go in on Friday around lunch time and price match the current add.... the add clearly says that the deal is limited to stock available... but I can't imagine that a Best Buy somewhere in Houston isn't going to have stock... so I think he can get it. We'll see. He doesn't care if he ends up not getting the deal... his older Mits started to go out last week and he really needed a new TV.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I think my parents might be wanting that Samsung 50" DLP at CC for $799.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, instead of camping out in front of Circuit City at Union Square on Thursday night/Friday morning for the $1299 Sharp, I camped out in front of my computer this morning.

The Black Friday deals were supposed to go online "on Thanksgiving Day" - so shortly before midnight I began refreshing my browser - but no luck. I later found a posting on the Circuit City message board that the deals wouldn't be up until later - usually the new deals go up at about 5 am but today it would probably be even earlier.

A few minutes after 1 am I went to bed and set my alarm for 1:57. I got up, checked, it still wasn't up, I went back to bed, and I was up at 2:57 again. At 3:01 the site went down, with the exception of the weekly ad section that I still had open in one tab. It had been updated but I couldn't click through to anything, and I was concerned because most items at least had a "Buy Online" link next to it - but not the Sharp 46" that I wanted so dearly. I considered giving up (it was rumored on forums that the Sharp HDTVs would be in-store only) but stayed up anyway, and at about 5:30 the site was back online... except, still no "Buy Online" link for the Sharp.

I then looked in the TV section, and lo and behold, there was the Sharp for $1299! I added it to my cart, it was available for pick-up at the Union Square store, I added the warranty and a stand that also went on sale today, and I was done!

Minutes later, I noticed that the TV was sold out in the NYC area, so I'm glad that I got in on this on time. I have never been to a Black Friday sale, and while I would like to experience one someday, I'm glad that I've averted it at least this year.

Now I just hope that everything goes through and I can pick it up this weekend. My next problem: how do I get the TV and stand (both about 70lbs boxes) from 14th street to my apartment? Delivery was not available, and I live about a 30 minute walk away and don't have a car. While I've got someone to help me carry it, I bet it's going to take at least 90 minutes to carry each box over. There is a bus that goes straight from Union Sq. to my apartment, but I doubt that I'll be able to get the stuff on, even in two separate trips. There's also the subway, but that takes me only halfway. Any suggestions?

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Ummm...Taxi? Especially one of the mini van types.

Hey..maybe you'll get picked up by the Cash Cab, win big bucks and get the TV and ride for free with a profit!

Well..it COULD happen......;)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Many of BestBuy's weekend sale items are sold out already according to their website. I was just in the home theater section and several items went "sold out" while I was going back and forth between the two pages of items. One item I wanted was sold out when I got there. The other item sold out before I could click on it. Guess I'll have to brave the lines at the store and try. What a waste of time. Hard to believe the Friday and Saturday items are sold out on Thursday. Whole week of research down the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks