best budget reciever? (yamaha htr-5930sl) questions and advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by steveKlein, Jun 28, 2006.

1. steveKlein

steveKlein Agent

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new reciever. I'm looking to spend no more than $500. I want multiple component inputs for digital cable, dvd player, etc.

I'll also want to use my system to listen to XM radio, but the reciever does not have to be XM ready, persay.

I should note that the speakers I will be using with this reciever are not very good (actually, out of a 5.1 home theater in a box). However, I plan to upgrade the speakers down the line (3-5 years).

I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I also don't want to be forced to upgrade again when I get ready to revamp my speakers.

I don't really know much about mid-fi recievers in this price range, so I'm open to just about any brands. The only reason I mention Harmon Kardon is because I've heard good things, and I like the way they look.

The AVR340 is at the top of my price range, but I don't really see the advantage of the 340 over the AVR240. And really the only advantage over the 140 that I see is 7.1 capability, not 6.1 (but keep in mind that I only have a 5.1 system... but may upgrade this way down the line).

What other models should I be looking at (I've heard Onkyo, Panasonic Denon, and others... but not really sure which models to look at).

What else should I be looking for in a receiver?

2. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steve;
    For your budget, you could get a great deal on a refurbished Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, HK or Pioneer receiver that may hold you over for some time and provide you with great performance for the money. While refurbs aren't for everyone as some folks have reservations for anything that's not new, they can prove a great option when trying to maximize the value of your dollar.

One consideration is that with the advent of Blue-Ray and HD-DVD technology, receiver manufacturers are going to be rolling out their new models with next generation surround sound features such as DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus. None of the receivers available today have these features available, so this is not something you'll really need to consider at the time and as there is very little movement as to the acceptance of the technologies, however it is a consideration if you do not need/want to buy a receiver just yet.

If you would consider a refurbished model, let me know and I can point you to a few possible options. If not, I can make some other suggestions for your budget as well... -TD

3. Scotty P

Scotty P Agent

Yamaha HTR 5890 is available at B&H Photo new (authorized dealer) for just under $500 (originally sold for $800), one of the best values I know of now.