What's new

Best bookshelf... Between $1000 and $3000 a pair. Opinions. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I have been looking at alot of bookshelf speakers lately. B&W Nautilus 805's, Kef XQ1's, Infinity Kapppa 200's, Boston VRM60's.

What do you guys think are some of the best bookshelf speakers out there.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t know if you would consider these as ‘bookshelves’, but I recently heard the Onix Reference 1 Monitors and I thought them very good value at $1,500 a pair. In the same listening session I was very favorably impressed with the MBL 321s. I think that they are in about the same price range.

Of course the choice between these two (or among some of the very excellent ones you mention) comes down to individual listening preference.

Steve_D

Second Unit
Yes, individual listening preference will be King in this comparison, and Queen will be the fact that very few will have heard all the contenders in a familiar environemnt.

My personal favorite near this price range that I've heard in a familiar environment is the B&W Sig 805's, priced at $3500 retail.

A whole list of contenders could be found in Sterophiles recommended components list.

I hope to be able to report my new favorites are the ACI Sapphires I have waiting for me in a box :) These have been compared and contrasted with the Onix Ref 1 (and Ellis 1801b) mentioned above and found to be very similar to one another, and both superior to the 805. I can't vouch for that yet.....

Let me throw some other contender names out there:

Proac, Tyler, GR-Research, Dynaudio, Norh, Green Mountain Audio. I've read reviews of each of these manufacturers having monitors that are proclaimed "the best".

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
So much stuff out there, and that is a big price range.

I would also include VMPS in the list.

When you get to listen to all of these...don't forget to give us a run down.

george king

Supporting Actor
The Kef XQ1 and XQ3 are really sweet. I might also check out offerings from GR Research (the Diluceo, which is ribbon based), ACI, or VMPS. You might also be able to score some used Green Mountain speakers in that range.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Here is my short list (which is still very long) and their list prices.

Amphion Argon 2 ($1.5k)
B&W Nautilus 805($2k)
AAD 2001 ($2.5k)
Revel Performa M20 ($2k)
Dyunaudio Contour 1.3 Mk II($2k)
Sonus Faber Concertos($1.5k)
ProAc 1sc ($2.5k)
Norh 9.0 ($3k)

I have listened to all of the above in my listening area with my components (Sonic Frontiers pre, Sony 555ES SACD, McIntosh Amp, Homegrown Silver Lace) and I thought that the best performers with my setup were (in order of preference) the AAD's, the Amphions, and the Dynaudios. Good luck with choosing your bookshelves.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’ve got to say that I’m jealous Chung. To be able to listen to all of those in your place, with your gear.

Awesome!

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I have 3 Boston VR-M60's across my front soundstage and am very happy with them. I have had them a little over 2 yrs and have felt no need to upgrade speakers. If you like the sound of them they are at the lower end of your price range.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I would have to second Lew's comments about the Onix Reference 1's being up there as well as the MBL 321E's. I have both of these speakers and they both amaze me with their sound and finish at the price point they are at. I have included some links to some recent listening sessions that I have been a part of. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=ellis

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
You should add to your list some of the monitors from Harbeth (the Compact 7ES-2 or the Monitor 30). They are excellent.

Also, though I haven't heard them, there have been many good reviews of several of the monitors from Jean-Marie Reynaud which are in your price range.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Might as well put my 2 pennies in. I'll third or fourth the recommendation for the KEF XQ1's. When I was at a local Ultimate Electronics last month in one of the big equipment rooms, it was the first time that I ever stopped to turn around and see what speakers were playing. Very good sound on these little babies. I know someone else recommended the M6 from NHT, and I'll definitely back this recommendation, as I have an NHT T5 set up (M5's). You could save yourself some dough and get either M5's and M6's and they'll give a lot of these other higher priced models a run for their money. They are very detailed, CLEAN sounding speakers that can handle anything you throw their way. Also, I've listened to the Boston Acoustics VR-M line before, and they sounded fabulous for music.

This is going to be a long list. However, the best I've heard are the EFE T-22. They're $1000.

I've got mine hooked up with an NHT sw3p sub and think the sound is better than my previous speakers --the NHT 3.3. (and all the other speakers I've owned: Paradigm studio 100 v. 1, Hales Concept 3, and Paradigm Active 20).

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
B&W Nautilus 805($2k)
Revel Performa M20 ($2k)
Dyunaudio Contour 1.3 Mk II($2k)

I'll second those three!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks