What's new

best biggest baddest sub driver out there? (1 Viewer)

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
Jones, I appreciate the thought but that site doesnt even give the specs for the drivers they use. the thread title is "best biggest baddest sub driver". PS, that site is getting old dont you think?
I believe the US [united States] needs one bigger than that. Anyone got THAT kind of money?

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
It's not a sub, but when the US launches to a missle to space, there is a possibility the bass produced goes even deeper.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OKOK, between the tumult or the tempest which is better for a large ported box. If having one on either side of the couch is wrong, I saw a pic of a couch table that really was a sub. It could go the length of my couch and be down firing. wow, then I could have it match the decor on my bar with a granite top! cool, would this work?

please comment

and just for speculation since SVS doesnt sell their drivers by themselves, where wiuld they stand in this list of baddass drivers. they look as tough as any other badass driver

RichardHOS

Second Unit
My guess is that the SVS + subs are on par with something like the Stryke AV12 (being that SVS uses 12" drivers). Could be a bit better or worse... not really sure, but it should be in that ballpark.

A Tumult will have significantly more output capability than a Tempest sub. Two Tumults with a bunch of passive radiators or some large ports thrown in the mix would scare just about anyone who might wander into your room. However, equally as scary would be four Stryke AV15's, with a lower total price (not sure about PR requirements for the AV15 vs. Tumult) and a bit more maximum output.

Not sure about the quality of two Tumults vs. four AV15's. My guess is that the AV15's would be more linear at low to moderate volumes, where each AV15 is around its linear region and with smaller excursion than each Tumult would require, but the Tumults would likely have the quality advantage near max output, since each Tumult would still be fairly linear whereas each AV15 would be drifing further from that linear region.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OK for now, lets agree on 2 seperate ported boxes with (1) Tumult in each. what kind of amp should I look for?
I'd like to stick with B&K but if I need some crazy amperage for these thene please let me know. I was just thinking of a stereo 200w per channel b&k amp

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Mike,

I don't know what your budget is, so this recommendation may not fit the bill. However, I think that this might be worth considering:

http://www.servodrive.com/contrabass.html

The Contrabass subwoofer from Servodrive represents probably the most impressive bass you will ever hear. Us DIY'ers can't really get ahold of these types of drivers. Some may argue with me on its performance, but I think that these are truly a step above everything else. Just a thought...
Hey Chad, long time no see. Thanks for the mention. Where the ContraBass sets itself apart is in the required power and low frequency capability in comparison to its total size. I am in fact currently working on a re-worked cosmetic which should look better in basic black but also more easily allow for veneering.

Are you still in the Balitimore area? I may be out in the DC area in the next month.

I hope this finds you well.

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
"and I want my house to shake"

do you want the house to shake or not?

If you are not going to run much power to them, then I personally would not spend the extra $$$ for two of these drivers.

I would use a single one with one of the 1000 watt plate amps instead of 2 of them with small power to each and you would spend less money. Or go with the AV15's. . . .

Just my opinion,
Brian

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OK i see the reason, but I get ear piercing levels on my regular speakers with 200 wats each so I cant fathom why I would need any more power. or does bass take more power to push?

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Stop by our room at the 2004 CES to see the biggest, baddest driver. Let's just say it will move a bit more air than anything discussed here...;)

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
now why would have to go and say something like like and make us wait for so long to learn more? And what about those of us who will not make it to CES????????????????

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Mike,
Yes, subs require much more power than regular speakers, especially the high performance, long throw drivers discussed here.
Brian's suggestion of 1000-1100w per Tumult is a good one (depending upon enclosure size/alignment of course).

Those going to CES will have to stop by....it will be fun:D

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Like an XXX 18 better suited for HT applications!!!

How about the square 24" I have heard about on other forums. . . .

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Details will be posted as we show at CES; if you're there, come on by and check this monster out. Truly scary. Of course, it's not that cheap, but when you consider what it replaces... It's capable of reference levels at 20 Hz, when sitting on the floor - no box or baffle needed.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks