What's new

Best "Bang for the buck" receiver with HDMI? (1 Viewer)

husker3in4

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
I currently have a Yamaha RX V795a that has served me well over the years. Now I want to be able to run HDMI into it and back out to the TV, but my Yamaha doesn't have HDMI (I got it like 10 years ago). I dont really want to spend alot of money, maybe a $200 or less? Is there anything comparable sound quality wise with HDMI for that price out on the market today? My other question is: is it possible to add some sort of HDMI box to my current receiver that would accomplish the same thing? Your help is much appreciated!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm on my phone so my ability to see what your 795 has is limites...but. If it has a 6channel input(will be marked DVD 6 or DVD 5.1) it is still relevant. You can purchase a BD player with 6/8 channel output(the BD player will set you back $200+ even used) if you care about lossless audio. If you care not for lossless(or you don't have 6channel) buy a HDMI switch with an accompanying toslink that sends 5.1(not all do, some send dumbed down 2.0PCM only, check the spec sheet). At $200 and under check A4L, Ebay and Craigslist. There "are" $200 new AVR, but I wouldn't want one.

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR609/Onkyo-TX-NR609-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html If you can push your budget to 269, this is a great receiver. Keep in mind with that low of a budget, you won't want to buy a new one, you will definitely regret it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would also check the local Best Buy stores for any open-box returns on receivers. Just make sure to open the box before purchasing to be certain everything is inside (power cord, remote, etc.) and the unit appears in working order. You might be surprised at how much of a discount there can be on an open item, and if it does not work, you can still return it to a local store.

husker3in4

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
thanks for your suggestion. It sounds like an HDMI switch with toslink is what I want. I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358607039&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+switch+with+toslink Which seems to do everything I want for a decent price ($50), but upon reading reviews it seems it loses signal often and one user who is in the exact same boat said the hdmi worked but not the toslink (which is the whole reason I want it). Can you check it out, or possibly suggest another switcher in that same price range that might work?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've gone from Onkyo to Yamaha and back over the years, and found no difference in sound quality. I replaced on Onkyo with a Yamaha because it had no HDMI outputs, and I found the HDMI switch I bought too annoying to work with. NewEgg has a number of Onkyo models on sale, starting from $180, all with free shipping. Depending on the number of devices you need to connect, and the exact features you want, any of these might work for you: Onkyo Comparisons SR313 $179.99 NR414 ("N" indicates network) $238.00 NR515 $299.99

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
TheGary said:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR609/Onkyo-TX-NR609-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html If you can push your budget to 269, this is a great receiver. Keep in mind with that low of a budget, you won't want to buy a new one, you will definitely regret it.
Accessories 4 less has great deals. For under $200 there is this: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR414/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5.1-Home-Theaterl-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html among many others. Will kick butt! I'd say go with a new receiver like this one or something else on that site. For "Bang for the buck" IMO it's tough to beat A4L's offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks