Best audio solution for my low budget home theater.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by samspan, Jul 16, 2011.

1. samspan

samspan Auditioning

Ok guys. Here is the situation. what i have: epson 8350 projector ceiling mount approx 12 feet from screen. screen: elite 100 inch ez frame series. video sources: directv hd receiver. playstation III. (for blue ray..netflix) audio: nada yet. Here is the problem. I dont want to have speaker wire running all over the place. I also dont want to pay someone to run the wires in the walls and go for the full 5.1 surround feel. If i were to go that route i realize i would just get a receiver with multiple hdmi inputs and have one hdmi output to the projector...the speakers would connect to the receiver..and i would be done. however, i am looking to go cheap and easy. Im looking to go for a sound bar with wireless sub and use this as my audio source for everything. the room is about 12 x 13 with about 10 feet in height. the question is, can i connect BOTH playsation IIII AND the direct receiver to a soundbar via a receiver? id rather have one wire running from the sound bar to the receiver then a set of wires running from the ps IIII AND the directv receiver to a soundbar.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    WOW. This is a bad idea. You're going to have a very nice projector and large screen experience, and BAD sound. Speaker wire can be hidden pretty creatively, by the way. At the very least, you should use a pair of front speakers.

3. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    You can do what you are suggestion with a soundbar that is meant to be driven by a receiver, say something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-SurroundBar-Speaker-System/dp/B000B6NFOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310873431&sr=8-1. But I agree with Jim that it's a really bad idea. You could go with a 3.1 with no wires visible. Or with just a little bit of work you could hide the wires for the surround speakers and get great sound.

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Some soundbars, like this cheap one from Samsung, have their own internal amps and DD/DTS decoders and (mini) hdmi inputs. They shouldn't need a receiver, should they? I really don't know that much about soundbars. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305HWD550/Samsung-HW-D550.html?tp=6561 . But again, it would be a shame to short-change the audio part of the HT experience. I'd at least do a 3.1. And what's up with posting links? :huh:

5. partygal

partygal Auditioning

Hi Hi, that's interesting home theatre system. I suggest that you guys should try this home theatre as my relative sought their help too and find them not bad:)

6. Spankydahamstr

Spankydahamstr Auditioning

The Mirage omni bar is pretty legit but again i must agree with everyone else 3.1 or better will be much more satisfying!

7. Afnan Yaseen

Afnan Yaseen Auditioning