What's new

best amp choice for my 25-31CS (22 hz tune) (1 Viewer)

Ray Nist

Agent
Right now I am powering this with an older JVC Prologic Receiver rated at 105w per channel from (40hz-20,000), so I suspect it is more like 75-80w over the full frequency response. I am unable to play it as loud as I would like without clipping from the receiver. I am looking to upgrade the amp in the next few months and am looking at two options, but am open to other suggestions.

Option 1 - Samsom S700 about $300 b-stock from SVS
Option 2 - Parts Express subwoofer amp $120-130
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=9388&DID=7

The downside to the parts express amp is I guess I would have to build some type of enclosure for it, but it does have a rumble filter, phase control and crossover. It also has less power (250 vs 300) and a higher distortion level.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ray Nist

John Gates

Second Unit
The S700 is a solid choice, as that is the amp that SVS actually sells. You might be able to get a better deal buying one used. Try Audiogon or ebay.

You could also try a monoblock amplifier. Marantz makes a good product, and nOrh has just announced a new monoblock (Le Amp 2) that should put out about 400 watts into 4 Ohms (180 to 200 into 8 Ohms) for $195 introductory price. These should be available soon. Click the "news" button on their website for current info on the Le Amp 2.

Seriously though, check Ebay for good deals on used amps with decent power output. QSC makes amps that are very good for subwoofers and are reasonably affordable (though most have fans that are on the loud side).

The nice thing about picking up a nOrh or Marantz monoblock is that it's decent quality that could be used elsewhere in the system later on if you pick up a good subwoofer amp.

Good luck!

John

PS. I have a Samson S1000 powering my SVS subs and am very happy with it. If you can, consider a S1000 or even S2000. Later on, when you decide you need another subwoofer or you want to upgrade, you have two beefy amp channels ready to go. If you need to do it cheaper, consider the alternatives to Samson already mentioned.

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
Even though the PE amp may not seem that great, remember that a lot of diy people use it in their subs. Also I think its a good cheaper option considering it does have a crossover adjust and you can turn on the rumble filter (with some soldering). But I have only used this PE with my SVS so I can't comment on how the samson would improve upon it, but I can say that I am happy with it.

Brian_DR

Grip
If you do get an Samson, consider buying an external xover as well. Without the external xover, the mid bass (80-150hz) can stand out very much, making the music sounds very forward and/or boomy. It is a misconception that the xover from HT receivers is sufficient. Because those are for ideal speaker with ideal frequency response. Most subwoofers and even front speakers are not these days. Having an additional xover on the plate amp is always a good option.

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
I have not got around to building a box for it, but when I have a free weekend I plan on doing it. There is a web site and guy has created just about one the most complete guides I have seen on the internet, and its for building a box for this amp. I don't have the link with me now, but I will try to find it. Also I got the amp with the remote and external harness for the crossover and volume knobs. I would recommend get the one without these as I think they are kind of annoying, and the remote becomes useless as I don't change the crossover or volume that much at all.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I have the PE 250w for my 25-31cs and I built the box for the amp. The only problem I have is it gets pretty hot when running and that's why I'm running a fan and haven't had a problem since. ALso it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks