Best $500

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Capn, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Brainwasher

Brainwasher Stunt Coordinator

Luke
    I would grab the NR616 Onkyo. And the PS3 should do fine for you for now, until you can afford something better.

2. Capn

Capn Auditioning

I love this forum. I have never heard of BD players being different. So I did a little research on Blu Ray players to understand what you said schan1269. But I don't see any evidence of image quality improvement going from PS3 to a stand alone. In fact, PC mag still has it as editors choice for Blu Ray....as well as CNET rating it as excellent for Blu Ray playing. Both are 2012 reviews. Kinda sounds like there's some placebo effect going on with stand alone players??? Professional testing can't seem to fine any PQ difference. I do now recognize some negatives with the PS3 unrelated to image quality. Fan noise, slow load time, and having a separate controller. The latter of which is a hassle for me. But I'm happy to keep the PS3 til the PS4 comes out next year. Quote from pro tester: "For Blu-rays, there is no difference in picture quality between players, and the latest PS3s can bitstream audio so there is no issue there either. If your screen supports 1080p/24 then the player shouldn't have any work to do. And color correction should be performed at the monitor, not the player, in my opinion." As per my current dilemma....I suppose I agree with Brainwasher. I'll grab the NR616 to solve my HDMI 1.4 debacle. Major bummer. I've love my Elite.:(

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    If all "BD players were equal"...there would be no need for Oppo.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    You forgot the smiley face.

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Really? Smiley...not an eyeroll... I'd rather relieve the PS3 of BD duty anyway. Do these 3D games have lossless audio?

6. Capn

Capn Auditioning

For under 200 bucks, I could see saving my PS3 for gaming duties only too. Especially due to the fan noise. But anyways...... I did go with the Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2 so solve my 3D incompatibility. That will be here today and HOPEFULLY I can be done. I'll take a couple shots of my setup once wires are covered, couches placed, yadda, yadda.

7. Capn

Capn Auditioning

Probably small potatoes compared tomost of your setups. By my 6 seats and 100" screen are all I could do in this joint.:D

8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Is that "all 5" of your speakers in the front of the room?

9. Brainwasher

Brainwasher Stunt Coordinator

Luke
    And I would like to know who's the man behind the curtain?

10. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    :) That's the new "5 channel front and low system" announced at CES last week. :D

11. Capn

Capn Auditioning

Haha...no. I'm doing the 7.1 thing. Little guys up there are just surrounds. I was able to find the sweet spot for my sub too! Amazing what a difference that makes. Also, I built a box yesterday for my back seats. Now they can recline without a a vision issue.