What's new

Best 32" - 37" LCD right now with: ... (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

Can't believe I am asking one of these... but here goes.

I am looking for the best 32" LCD flat panel.

Reason I am asking flat out is that until mayby 6 months ago I would not have been caught dead even looking at an LCD in a store much less buying one.

I have been a CRT or death guy forever. Got tubes from 13" 4:3 to 34" 16:9 HDTV and of course CRT RPTV for the "cinema room".

However now that I need a TV for the living room I tried out a few LCDs for the heck of it.

I have returned all 3 before the 30 days but can now see some pros to add to the cons.

I am not keen on the picture but I will not be the main viewer. my DVDs don't look great but the kids won't care.

Main usage will be:

HD and SD TV, VHS, DVD and some platform games (Playstation 1 era and X-Box a bit)

reason for going to LCD is not having to worry about burn in.

I want an HDTV so 16:9 is a must and at least 32". Looking for at least 2 component inputs and 1 HDMI though 2 HDMI would be GREAT! PC input might also be good but not a deal breaker.

Here are some deal breaker that have made me return some of the units.

One of them actually did not allow for side bars on 4:3 material. I had to stretch or crop stuff like TV show DVDs or Playstation games. NOT GOOD.

One of them had a "sensor" that adjusted according to current light conditions. It drove me nuts. picture went from normal to super dark then super bright and back constantly. It was really annoying and worse of all IT COULD NOT BE TURNED OFF OR DISABLED. Add whatever feature you want but let me turn it off if it does not work right.

I just want an overall nice picture. There won't be a lot of movie watching on this so I can live with the poor blacks. lots of daytime viewing with the TV right in front of the window.

Black would be preferred but if the best panel comes in silver I can live with it.

so, give it to me guys!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Best 37" LCD on the market is the Sharp Aquos LC-37D90U 1080p. Hands down. Absolutely breathtaking picture for an LCD.

Next best would be the Sharp Aquos 37" LC-37D40U 720p.

Best 32" LCD on the market would be the Sony Bravia 32" KDL-V32XBR1 (and newer XBR2 model). Beautiful picture.

Next best would be be the Sharp Aquos 32" LC-32D40U (and newer D41 and D50 models). Runner up would be the the Samsung 32" LN-S3241D (and newer 51D, 92D, 96D models).

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hey Alon, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

I just so happen to be reading a few posts of yours plasmas and LCDs. You seem to know your stuff. If you are not in the business then you must be one of those guys like that just keeps going to stores over and over to stare :)

Well the LC-37D90U Is actually a model that really caught my eye recently reading posts though I have not actually seen it.

the specs read like a dream except for one thing: only one component input. Sure there are 2 HDMI inputs but I really need AT LEAST 2 component inputs.

Got cable box, DVD player and X-Box that require component. Now the cable box has a component in to act as a "switcher" I guess but that still leaves me with minimum 2.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Rolando - I'm just an enthuthiast. :) But I work in IT, so I'm in front of a computer 10 hours a day, and always researching.

I agree the LC-37D90U is limited in terms of 1 component input, but this shouldn't be a problem if you have a receiver. If you don't already have a receiver, you may want to consider the Yamaha RX-V659, which is a very capable budget receiver for only $350.

Rolando

Screenwriter
yeah was thinking of putting something small in living room like a Pioneer 816 but for now now amp/receiver.

Hard enough to convince boss (wife) that we need yet another TV purchased without explaining we "need" a new receiver too. :)

Thanks for the list of 32" LCDs, where would you put the Sony KDL-32S2010?

Close to the XBR? or really not as good? Is there a big difference in PQ between them?

Also the Sharp Aquos 32" LC-32D40U has 2 component inputs while the 2 "new" models D41 and D50 only have one. Is there an increase in PQ from the LC-32D40U that would justify going for them?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
There is a huge difference in PQ between the XBR and the S2010. I would definately only look at the XBR models.

I believe the D40 and D41 are identical, except that the D41 includes a DVI-I input for PC and one less component input. I haven't had a chance to view the new D50.

Rolando

Screenwriter
"There is a huge difference in PQ between the XBR and the S2010. I would definately only look at the XBR models.

Wow, that is quite the statement."

So aside from the XBR, you would consider the Sharp and the Samsung before other Sony LCDs? Interesting.

I know that seeing it for yourself is the best test but it is good to hear the opinions of other enthusiasts.

thanks again

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi

I am really not a big fan of LCD....though they have been getting better. The black levels are generally pretty bad. This can be said for both panels and RPTVs. FP LCDs also have a lot of issues.

Try to lean towards plasma for panels, and DLPs for RP or FP applications.

regards

gregg

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi gregg, thanks for the post. I consider you a big name in the world of AV so your input is welcomed.

Though some might "critisize" your praise of Plasma in an LCD thread but I sort of agree.

I have never been a fan of flat pannels. Not just due to price but just never succumbed to the "cool" factor. As I mentioned in first post I am a CRT guy.

However, this is would be in a small room where it will used used mostly by my kids I figured my biggest criteria became fear of burn-in.

Even when I recommended a TV to someone who refused to be talked out of flatpanel I would steer towards plasma (if budget allowed) simply for the better blacks and more film like picture.

However, despite recent "reports" and studies" telling the contrary I still fear the threat of burn-in on a plasma.

Since I refuse to "stretch", crop or otherwise modify a picture there will be a lot of TV viewing with black sidebars. VHS (10%) TV on DVD (30%), SD-TV (30%) and old 4:3 console games (10%). The rest will be HD-TV and some Xbox both of which can be either full 16:9 or have sidebars.

and let's face it, price is a factor now. No plasma worth buying is gonna be near the price of an LCD in it's size range.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

D40 and D41 have the same cabinet but are otherwise different. 32D40U uses a Chi Mei panel and is manufactured by Orion; 32D41U uses a Sharp panel and is manufactured by Sharp (like the D50). D41 is basically a D50 in a D40-style cabinet.

Note that the D41 and D50 have "Multi-Pixel Technology" while the D40 does not; that's because the D41 and D50 use the same panel.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi Casey C, Can I assume you are implying that the 41 and 50 are better than the 40 right?

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, not that the 32D40 is bad, but I would steer toward the D41 or D50. If nothing else they will give slightly better off-angle viewing; Chi Mei is known for acquiring a slight bluish tint at an angle. The "Multi-Pixel Technology" allegedly aids in off-angle viewing as well.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Question for all of you:

How does the JVC LT-32X887 measure up?

Saw it instore an hour ago next to a Samsung (D51 I think) and looked about the same. Bad, split component signal but they both looked equally bad. If that makes sense.

It looks nice, black. Also has 2 component inputs, 2 HDMI inputs and even a PC in. SOunds like it has what I need but PQ is a big factor for me.

I cannot buy 3 units and test them and luckily there is this forum and I trust a lot of the input here.

Where would you guys place the PQ on this JVC?

below Sony and Sharp? on par with Samsumg and Toshiba? below a generic?

thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks