What's new

Best $300 Package - Onkyo 510 or Acoustic Research HC6 (1 Viewer)

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
From AR's manual: (emphasis mine)

HC6 SURROUND SYSTEM
Contents of Carton:
4 each 2-way Matching Satellites , Shielded
1 each 2-way Center Channel, Shielded
1 each Subwoofer

Jack

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Greg-ST,

I just hope you are not trying to generalize that all and
any 3" driver is tinny.. I guess if you go from something
like a Bose Acoustimass setup to a JBL NSP1 package you
would be impressed.

Honestly as good as these little systems are, none of them
are dynamic enough for all of us..

I wouldn't run anything less than full range towers for
mains and a center channel bigger than the whole mini
setup. But we all have our preferences like that :)

Some even have to deal with "WAF" (Shudders at the thought)

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
No, I wasn't generalizing. The speakers I was previously using were 3" drivers from Kenwood (ie. the little drivers had to handle the entire frequency range from the crossover up). These JBL N24 speakers and N-Center pump out considerably cleaner audio, much deeper bass, pack a significant amount of punch over my previous speakers, and overall have more presence and fullness. The difference really is night and day to me and that's all that really matters eh? :)

Larger speakers would be completely overkill in my setup. I'm only in a small 10'x12' room. The JBL's extend all the way down to the sub very nicely as well as blend seamlessly with it (for all intents and purposes I can't tell the sub is even there unless it's completely shaking the floor/walls). I wish you could hear my setup. It may not blow you away, but it could surprise you how good it sounds considering it's probably reaching near the top of the bottom of the road systems.

We all have to start somewhere and these JBL's were my first major upgrade to the setup. I have no doubt most of my components will probably be replaced with bigger and better things a few years down the line. Until then I'm really enjoying what I have now :D

Oh, and Bose? Are you kidding me? I know all about Bose's systems ;)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Greg,

I am sure you did quite an upgrade from the Kenwood's to
the JBL's. They are great speakers (from the most affordable
N series all the way up to the high end Tik's :) )

As for room size yes your JBL's would work perfect in that
room heck even my 13.5 x 16 x 8 they would work well in.
But I am a little crazy :) I like big honkin speakers! My
current Towers are pewny compared with what will be my new
2 channel mains :)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
These JBL N24 speakers and N-Center pump out considerably cleaner audio, much deeper bass, pack a significant amount of punch over my previous speakers, and overall have more presence and fullness. The difference really is night and day to me and that's all that really matters eh
I see another Phil borning, just kidding, I very happy that you like the JBLs. I wish I could make post like phils, great info, every time I see them I take pride of my JBLs :D

I have S center, four JBLs S26 and SVS 25-31PCi, and all my friend always get impresed with it. I'm the envy of all. I was so impressed with them that I decided to build a HTPC with JBL, and yesteday I recieved my NSP1 pacakge, very nice looking.

I think JBL is very underestimated by a lot of poeple, for me it's the best brand for entry level budgets. They offer a lot for the money, good looking, great sound.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I hadn't really though about room setup too much. My loveseat will be against the back wall so there might not be any room for a rear center. The room will be about 10'X10' roughly. There will also be a 55" TV in there so I don't know about moving the loveseat away from the wall because I might be sitting too close to the TV.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Alex,

Remember to plan out your HT area before deciding on the speakers. Make sure you have enough breathing room for the speakers (don't want to place them to close to the walls). Also if you care about having things hidden, make sure you plan your wiring routes beforehand. If you're on a budget, then speaker wires at HomeDepot would be ideal for you. Others with even more expensive equipment are satisfied with the 12 Guage wires they offer there. for your room size, I doubt you'll need wires that big. Perhaps the 14s will do and will be cheaper, as well. Whatever you do, don't let the CC or BB salesguy talk you into getting Monsters anything ;)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Definately not stupid enough to buy Monsters. Ive got a 50' roll of Speaker King that I got from Parts Express. I also picked up some stands from them. Ive been planning room for the rear speakers on the side of my loveseat but never thought about moving it forward to accomodate a rear center. I don't want to be sitting too close to the TV, it will feel like Im in the front row of the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks