best 10" or 12" for $200 or less

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by diceman1000, Mar 9, 2014.

1. diceman1000

diceman1000 Stunt Coordinator

i'm finishing up a home theater install for a friend and need to replace a 10+ year old, dead Klipsch sub. his top dollar is $200. I've been looking hard at the BIC F-12 and Dayton Audio SUB-1200... which of these two would you recommend? any other suggestions in this price range? thanks in advance...

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    There is nothing, at the cheap end, better than the F12.

diceman1000 likes this.
  3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I agree. I have one in my theater.

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
  5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    The Dayton Gene linked looks pretty sweet, however, it might depend on your priorities. The Dayton appears to be a sealed cabinet, where the BIC is ported. So, the Dayton probably has better extension, but the BIC should have higher output. I'm wondering if that Dayton amp is a little under powered for a sealed cabinet. In a small room, I'd probably go with the Dayton, but otherwise the BIC.

Correction, the Dayton has a port on the bottom. Not sure I like that idea with feet that short.

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That sub is ported.Wonder if they offer it passive. Then you just feed it what you want.

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Hence the correction...

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    SVS and Wilson are the only two companies I have ever seen that over a passive, ported sub. They sell it knowing the buyer is smart enough to run it with a subsonic filter. SVS at one time even offered a pre-amp level SSF made by Marchand.

Outside of the plate amps and conventional amps made by the same companies (PE carries them), the only other option is from Behringer. Their iNuke DSP series have a filter that will go as low as 20hz and with some tweaking, can get close to 15hz for those low tuned monsters. Is it applicable in the sub $200 budgets? Not even close.

9. diceman1000

I ended up ordering the BIC F12 for him, I'm sure he'll be tickled

10. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I should have mentioned more(especially since I mention bypassing plate amps)...But, I don't think a person buying a $150-ish passive sub is going to buy more than $200-$250 in external power.I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of people are smart enough to understand an external amp needs help. However. If that Dayton was bought and ran with a Sony TA N110...I don't think the N110 has enough juice to fry the driver. Would it work with 99% of content out there?Sure. I think the vast majority of people with interest are just looking for decent performance. Not extreme perfection.Besides...passive sealed makes more sense. I don't think HTD has a ported sub either (I know their sub amps aren't exactly mentioning having SSF onboard).

11. diceman1000

Silly question, this is going to be hooked up to a Yamaha RX V575 which is 7.2, do I need to use a y cable and connect it to both sub preouts?

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No. The sub pre-outs are mono. All they did was give you a second output; effectively a y cable inside.

diceman1000 and schan1269 like this.
  13. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Slight amendment to my prior post about HTD(at a 'puter, went and looked for confirmation)...

HTD uses a transmission line in their passive subs. None of their amps say they have a SSF either.

So...safe to assume they include one? Or they attenuate the ICEpower to make up for the trans-line?

http://www.htd.com/Products/powered-subwoofers (and yes, they call them powered...when in fact, they are passive)