What's new

3D Beowolf 3 D (1 Viewer)

hdkid

Auditioning
Real Name
drew
I know all movies are going to be in the new digital 3d but is beowolf going to be released in 3D when it's released on hddvd? or would something hinder that. if so I don't think anything could top hd 3d.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My guess would be that they won't release Beowulf on video in 3-D for a couple reasons:

1) The Polar Express was in 3-D also (at least the IMAX version was) and it's never been released on home video that way.

2) Home video technology isn't yet up to snuff to provide a high quality 3-D presentation, even in HD.

But mostly because:

3) The whole 3-D feature is a gimmick to get people to see the movies in theaters. Tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars are being poured into upgrading theaters to have Digital 3-D capabilities. If studios start making 3-D movies available on video that way, they will effectively be shooting themselves in the foot.

Of course, just like color, 5.1 sound and widescreen before it, 3-D will eventually become a fixture in home theater technology but I don't think it will happen until it becomes more widely adopted theatrically.

I could be wrong, however.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I stand corrected regarding home theater technology but I still stand by this speculation regarding bringing digital 3-D movies into the home theater environment:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
And given that most if not all 3-D installations are using either 4K digital or IMAX, the theatrical experience will be considerably more detailed. There are so many factors that will come into play here, that even if films become available in 3-D at home, the result will be considerably diluted in comparison to the theatrical experience.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
In any event, the HD3D technology probably won't be present in enough consumers' homes in time to justify a 3-D version the initial DVD/HD/BD release of Beowulf.

Then again, if Spy Kids 3-D can be released on DVD in 3-D, a 3-D Beowulf seems to be the least they could do.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
But because Spy Kids 3-D was anaglyph 3-D, it was a lot easier to implement and enjoyed a much wider release than Beowulf in 3-D.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm holding onto my 3D glasses from the movie just incase because I'm not sure how they would pack in 4 pairs of durable glasses. But hopefully they will release the 3D and 2D versions of the film on a single disc. That way we could choose which version to watch.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom

Sorry, Chris, you can toss those glasses. The technology that would bring 3D to home theater in the near future will be completely different than the tech used in theatrical presentation.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I know, I was intending a bit of sarcasm there that apparently didn't come through.

Mendoza

Agent
Real Name
Jesse
Has anyone heard of 3-D (home video) technology without the need for special glasses? Does such a technology even exist? I thought I remember reading something about it; though in between the voxels and the holograms and the blue/red 3-d I ain't much for 'memberin. :crazy:
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

GregK

Screenwriter

A minor sidenote on Spy Kids 3-D ..on DVD ...in 3-D.

This title has the distinction of being available on DVD in three different 3-D formats, depending on which 3-D DVD version you purchase.

1) The widest DVD release is the anaglyphic (aka: red & blue) 3-D version.

2) Then there is the HQFS (high quality field-sequential) 3-D DVD version, while having some minor technical transfer issues, is still far superior to the anaglyphic version.. and the original anaglyphic theatrical release.

3) Finally there is the Sensio frame sequential 3-D version which squeezes the L&R images side by side onto the DVD, to be converted to frame sequential 3-D by an expensive Sensio processor .. or any 3-D format you desire with second party software. This version is superior to the HQFS release.

hdkid

Auditioning
Real Name
drew

yeah it does exist. I saw it in an article on engadget, I think. it has some thin material and an image is projected onto it and its completely 3d and can be seen in all directions which was pretty cool.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I saw this over the weekend. The Film was great but it absolutely did not need to be in 3d. And Maybe it was Me but the 3D was so subtle that it made having to wear those awful glasses, over my glasses a real pain. I much rather have seen it in all the Depth and glory of the excellent CGI.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Did it need to be in 3D...no. But it was spectacular in IMAX 3D, with the process being used to great effect in many sequences.

It truly was an amazing 3D experience.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks