What's new

BenQ 1070 thoughts (1 Viewer)

cole77

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole t
I have been reading good reviews on benq 1070 and the price seems very reasonable at approx 1000 Any thoughts? Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Any thoughts?" Leonard needs to go ahead and get the action figure... But seriously...about what? The 1070 is a good low-price projector.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have not seen one, from what I have read tho: IQ seems to be better than what the price would suggest. At $899 plus a $50 gift cert is a tempting value proposition. It uses a slower DLP color wheel, some folks might be susceptible to rainbows but few have been reported. The Lens shift is VERY minor. Tweaks only, not gross movement Kinda cheapy plastic and weak remote, befitting the price Dave Upton is reviewing it for HTF soon! The Newegg price has been extended until 2/4 and Amazon now has it for $899 without any GC. http://slickdeals.net/f/5827142-BenQ-W1070-projector-900-50-GC-Newegg-ends-1-29 In that thread I post links to a number of reviews and the AVS/HTF discussion threads.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
There is confusion as to the actual color wheel speed. I've read that it's a 6x speed, and also a 3X speed. There are 2 pro reviews already at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
My understanding is that it is a 3x RGBRGB color wheel - so each color is on the wheel twice effectively giving us 6X. FWIW they used the same technology on the W6000 (which I own) and it works perfectly.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm still trying to figure out why, if you are already on Amazon, you can't "search electronics" for that projector. But when you "web search" you find it as an Amazon link. And then, from its own page...you can't even search it. Weird. Maybe it is still in short supply so they only want people specifically looking for it to find it...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The only other thing I've gathered from quick scans of the reviews is that if you have a totally light-controlled room, the mediocre black level is disappointing. For rooms with ambient light issues, it's a very capable projector, and one that can largely overcome that sort of environment, but in a darkened room, its performance limitations are magnified.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Black Levels are why I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Epson 5020. I'm just dying to see a BenQ 1070, w7000, and the 3020/5020 before I pull the trigger... But I need a pretty sizable lens shift (my screen is off center, my PJ on) and I've got tight lighting controls... I'd consider the W7000 more but that's an 18 month old PJ and I'd hate to buy it just to have it replaced in a month or two. I really wanted to hold out on spending the big bucks until 4K is in the sub $3k price range and content is available, but I don't think I can wait. If I was shooting on a wall or from an adjustable table I'd give the 1070 serious consideration as my bridge tho!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, I wonder if that means "the bottom" of projectors has been reached... What I mean is...the "performance" of projectors has hit the price plateau. A $1000 projector this year will be the same performance as $1000 in 4 years. Maybe OLED has peaked the progression of projectors. I think the tipping point for OLED will be $6000 at 80". Considering what Sharp is already discounting the 70 and 80 to...the countdown has started.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jason Charlton said:
The only other thing I've gathered from quick scans of the reviews is that if you have a totally light-controlled room, the mediocre black level is disappointing.  For rooms with ambient light issues, it's a very capable projector, and one that can largely overcome that sort of environment, but in a darkened room, its performance limitations are magnified.
That's correct. It's not designed as a home theater projector. It's classified as a video projector, for rooms with ambient light, like the Panasonic AR100U is also. The best projector in this price range is still the Mitsubishi HC4000 at about $1,200, also having the best black levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.