What's new

Benigni's PINOCCHIO (2002) - hmmm... (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Just saw the trailer for the upcoming Pinocchio film. When I heard about a new film version, I kind of got excited because I remembered how well I enjoyed Collodi's book when I was younger (and how disappointed I was in the Jonathan Taylor Thomas version). Well, seeing this trailer. Well... it looks weird. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, as I'm not familiar with Roberto Benigni's work. But he's a fully grown man! He doesn't even look like a puppet! It brings back horrible memories of a 1982 "Faerie Tale Theater" version starring Paul "Pee-Wee Herman" Reubens that I saw when I was very little (I'm only 16 right now).
Can somebody tip me off on this? Is Benigni some kind of creative genius that might somehow redeem what looks to be a horrible trainwreck?
And this appears to be a foreign film. If it is, will it be dubbed and/or subtitled, or is it actually in English?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I love the poster for this film. I can't comment on any other aspect of the film or its marketing as I haven't seen any.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The film is Italian, but word has it that the majority of prints here in the U.S will be dubbed into English.
I have my concerns also as the trailer made me cringe. I hope it turns out to be great.:)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm always interested in whatever Benigni does. I was surprised that he was playing the lead on this one, but he does have a certain childlike innocence to some of this performances, so maybe he can pull it off. I'll have to see.

Jason

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to see it until I heard the version we'll get is edited and dubbed. I want to see the version that the Italians saw (with subtitles, of course). Unless it gets unanimous praise from the critics, forget it. Even then, I'll do a matinee. Otherwise I'll wait for a DVD (maybe it'll come from England or Canada) with the complete film and original dialogue.

Even though Benigni and Braschi are supposed to dub their own voices (that does make that pill a little easier to swallow), it's still EDITED! Why? Why not show the movie the Italians fell in love with? Who knows.

Everything about it seems totally loopy, which is WHY I want to see it. It looks fanciful and magical and funny and interesting. Benigni has a cracked, fantastic imagination, and this is his baby, he's wanted to do this for decades. That ensures a lot of love in the project from him, but obviously not from the American distributor (who shall remain nameless).

Brenton

Screenwriter
Any idea on the what the ratio of subtitled to dubbed prints will be here in the States? I've never seen an international film in theaters, and I'd like to start off right by seeing it with subtitles.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
For Spirited Away, there was one subtitled print out of around 15 theaters here.

~T

GregBoehme

Agent
Agree that it seems weird having a full grown man (and an older one) playing the part.. The first few seconds of the trailer seemed interesting but then it just seemed off for the rest. Plus his costume looked like clown pajamas or something.

Greg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Read this at Studio Briefing:

Italian writer-director-actor Roberto Benigni (Life Is Beautiful) has fired himself as the voice of the title character in the dubbed version of "Pinocchio," set for release on Christmas Day. Reportedly dissatisfied with his own work after two weeks of trying to voice the character himself, Benigni has hired Breckin Meyer (54, Kate & Leopold, Inside Schwartz) to do the English voiceover. Today's (Thursday) New York Post reported that Miramax has no plans to reschedule the U.S. opening of the film, despite the lateness of the change.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Yeah it looked pretty weird to me too. The Trailer started
out kind good but than looked kinda scary to me. I like Benigni's Life Is Beautiful but this just looks different
to me. Im still going to check it out either way. I sure hope it's good.

-Mike

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Reportedly dissatisfied with his own work after two weeks of trying to voice the character himself, Benigni has hired Breckin Meyer (54, Kate & Leopold, Inside Schwartz) to do the English voiceover.
Yeah, and if that weren't bad enough, Nicoletta Braschi's beautiful voice is going to be dubbed by Glenn Close!
:angry:

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Current plans are to release 1 subtitle print for every 10 dub prints....

I have a research screening next Thursday of the new dub version.

Dugger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks