What's new

Ben-Hur (2016) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess the silver lining with this flop is that it will be another 50+ years before Hollywood decides to "bless" the movie going public with yet another remake of this story. Imagine if this had been successful. We would have been hearing about a sequel with some name like Ben-Hur2: Back in the Chariot Again, given Hollywood today.

Reactions: PMF

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Come on, did anyone think it was going to be any good? I wonder who greenlit this thing?
I can imagine how it went in the meeting;
"Hey, we need to come up with a guaraneed blockbuster."
"Any new ideas in the script pile?"
"Nah, that would take too long to read through them all, plus we need to know it will be a hit."
"Well, one of my favorite movies was Ben Hur and it did pretty well."
"Genius, we'll remake that! Who needs new and original ideas?"

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well I'm seeing it today. Most of the negative comments in this thread are from people who haven't seen it. The two that have seen it I believe liked it.

So I'll make up my own mind today.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] The film cost $100 million to make. The Los Angeles Times have already called it one of the biggest flops of the summer.
Perhaps Gary Barber could recoup his monies by spending the next $100 million through Green-lighting the restorations of 20-30 already established hit films that are hidden away within his vaults.
Lesson #1 for Gary Barber: Stick to the originals.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I was just going to say LOL...then I remembered talking to two individuals (both in their 20s) back when Titanic came out.
I said something about how I couldn't wait for the ship to sink. "What??? Whaddaya mean it sinks??? WHY did you tell us that?!?!" True story. (And people wonder why the country's in trouble.)
Damn it, you guys did it to me again. I just got around to purchasing "Titanic" on a blind buy; but haven't had the time to see it.:lol:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, I guess the silver lining with this flop is that it will be another 50+ years before Hollywood decides to "bless" the movie going public with yet another remake of this story. Imagine if this had been successful. We would have been hearing about a sequel with some name like Ben-Hur2: Back in the Chariot Again, given Hollywood today.
Or: "Ben-Him"...or even..."Ben-There, Done That".

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm seeing it today. Most of the negative comments in this thread are from people who haven't seen it. The two that have seen it I believe liked it.

So I'll make up my own mind today.

Absolutely see it and make your own opinion. I have seen tons of movies panned by critics that I liked. I will see this at some point when it comes out on cable. I am always skeptical of remakes however.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
Damn it, you guys did it to me again. I just got around to purchasing "Titanic" on a blind buy; but haven't had the time to see it.:lol:

Don't lose hope... you could be alive in the Kelvin timeline where the Titanic did not sink.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Or: "Ben-Him"...or even..."Ben-There, Done That".

Bengay.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Don't lose hope... you could be alive in the Kelvin timeline where the Titanic did not sink.
Into which Rose never stood by and allowed poor old Jack to die of Hypothermia?
[I always felt that she should had scooted over an inch or two to make some kinda room for him.]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It was ok to good I thought. Of course it's no where near the disaster the media is making it out to be. It just has the unfortunate weight of its predecessor on its back.

Much less epic and more intimate than Wyler's '59 classic. I don't think it was trying to out do that classic in any way . It just trying to tell pretty much the same story with a few twists.

I thought the leads were fine. The cinematography pleasant to look at. And the action scenes exciting. The sea battle and chariot race are worth the price of admission alone. I saw it on a pretty big 2D screen.

It had some dull patches but overall a decent film. YMMV

I would give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Your opinion seems to align with most of the people who have actually viewed the movie.

I think the main reason it flopped was that most movie goers just weren't up for a remake of the '59 version. (Or a new interpretation of the book.)

The '59 version was a hugely entertaining movie; and it has had at least four releases to Home Video in the last decade. The interest in the subject matter may have just been saturated.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Into which Rose never stood by and allowed poor old Jack to die of Hypothermia?
[I always felt that she should had scooted over an inch or two to make some kinda room for him.]
The first thing they do in that scene, after Rose is on the board is try to get Jack on and it won't support the two. Jack decides to stay in the water. And he tells her "No regrets."

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I know that, but still, Rose should have said..."Here, get out of the water and lie down on my back"...or taken turns being in and out of that frigid ocean...s-o-m-e-t-h-I-n-g...after all, Jack saved her life when she first attempted to jump off from the stern rail. A life for a life, right?:thumbsup:
Indeed, Jack may have said, "No regrets"; but with Rose her whistling was to the tune of "No sacrifice, either".
Personally, I believe that Rose was unstable to begin with. And even in her senior years, too. I mean, who in their right mind would toss a near priceless diamond; one that is nearly as big as an iceberg, itself; into the middle of the ocean?:eek:
I know...it was symbolism, but still.:rolleyes:
The moral of "Titanic"? Don't play poker on the docks.:lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks