What's new

Being snubbed similar to physical pain (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
...at least in the brain:

Brain scan shows rejection pain.

Being snubbed socially provokes exactly the same brain response as being physically hurt, say US researchers.

Volunteers were asked to play a computer game designed to fool them into feeling excluded, while brain scans were taken at the same time.

After the computerised snub, the scan detected activity in an area of the brain linked to physical pain.
Please read this article and respond, or you will hurt my feelings!

*ow ow ow*

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I heard about this yesterday. The study is... interesting. It plays into theories that all pain is truly an interpretation of the brain, sensing danger. With that in mind, we could make the assumption that the brain could shut out pain as well, in the cases of genetics where there are people who don't feel pain, as well as a justification of those people who train themselves to shut out pain. It's interesting.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Reminds me of a lesson from Sociology class many moons ago. The theory was some ancient tribes wouldn't physically banish poeple, they would merely ignore them. While the victims were free to remain "hanging around", no one was allowed to acknowledge their presence. The ultimate "communal snub".

Sounds like it was pretty effective !

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Guess maybe Percocet may really be the true cure all :)

Jeff

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This doesn't surprise me at all. Emotional pain (including that resulting from rejection) to my mind runs deeper, hurts more, and hurts for a longer time than most physical pain.

Users who are viewing this thread