What's new

Behr Sandwash textured paint, in a panic, wife is pissed, HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Ok Guys, I'm in need of some serious help, here's the story:

Well the Theater was moving along great until this weekend! We painted our ceiling and front wall flat black with and airless sprayer and it looks great. The paint we chose for the remaining walls is made by Behr, it's a textured paint called Sandwash and the color is called Dusty Star. Color is very similar to the Kodak gray. The first coat went on beautifully, the second coat went on beautiful also but on the last can of paint it seems that there was way to much of the texture in it and the last wall looks like total crap!! It has large areas with what looks like tons of sand in it! We are in a panic, what can we do to remove this paint and try to repaint that wall? We can't sand in there as the ceiling and front wall are flat black, it will stick to it like glue as it will also on the other walls because they have the textured paint on them. Please, if anyone has any ideas, help.
Thank you.
John

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I have a feeling that sanding is the only option. Get some 220 grit sandpaper and a drywall sander. Tape off the areas that have already been painted and you don't want to touch. Use a shop vacuum to clean up the paint sandings.

That is about the only way to do this.

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen in Lowes a dustless drywall sanding system. I have no idea how well it will work, but it looks like it uses a water tank or something. It might be worth a shot? I am sure HD also will have it. Sorry I do not know the name of it. I didn't care about dust when I was finishing some walls, so I did not look at it too closely.

Marc

John-S

Auditioning
Home Depot rents out a Porter-Cable drywall sander for $30-$40. You must buy the sanding discs and pads, but I've used it and it works really well. It uses a spinning disc surrounded by a lip that vacuums up most of dust as you go, depositing it into a filter bag in an attached canister.

I'm not sure how well this would work for your paint - there's a possibility that the sandy texture would shred up the standard drywall pads.

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Well we got it worked out, we are using a 4" rigid putty knife and it takes it off very well. We all ready have half the wall done!:) Thanks so much for all your help!:emoji_thumbsup:
SIncerely,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks