What's new

BEHOLD!!! I give you the 7-channel Panasonic SA-XR55 Digital Receiver... (1 Viewer)

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: So how do you guys think this compares to the also-upcoming JVC RX-202B?

I think it would be more fair to compare it to the RX-301S/302B. I haven't heard the JVCs, but I'd probably go with the 301S considering it has DPIIx, USB RF input and a power rating of 110watts x 7. Still, I'm happy with my older Panny SA-XR10 - killer sound from the smallest one of the bunch.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I don't see the mention of DPLIIx on the list of features on some sites like J&R, but I see it in the Panasonic press release in Japanese here. Does the press release confirm that this unit has DPLIIx?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Kevin,

havent seen any press releases other than the Japanese one. Seems unlikely that it would not have DPLIIx

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
so anyone have this yet? it's available in the us now. Just wondering what the impressions are, and specifically if it has video upconversion...thanks

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Jaret: I own that same receiver you own, a Pioneer SX-6! I bought mine new in 1983 for $220 & it still works perfectly. For almost five years I used what's called a Hafler circuit with it to provide some pretty decent surround sound until I bought my present Technics SA-DA8 surround receiver.

What brand of speakers are those? A stereo HT system can still be a great way to watch movies as long as the speakers are large enough (yours are IMO).

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
lance,

I agree that is a nice reciever in its day. The speakers I have are realistic optimus 5B. I agree that a stereo setup is great for movies, but my intention is to eventually move that set of speakers and amplifier back up stairs hooked to a record player, where they belong lol.

Also, can't wait to hear your impressions of the xr-55, i'm really considering one. I hope it has video upconversion, does anyone know this?

J

Scott.M

Auditioning
I can confirm that it does not, unfortunately, have video upconversion. It does sound amazing and running 7.1 with DPIIx enabled brings a whole new depth to movies. Master and Commander never sounded so real (maybe "crisp" is the word?) with cannon shots and bullets ripping up my great room.

I was watching Saving Private Ryan on one of the regular satellite channels the other day and even though it was broadcast in 2 channel the surround effects were pretty good. I've never been happy with ther sound of anything but DVDs in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks