BEHOLD!!! I give you the 7-channel Panasonic SA-XR55 Digital Receiver...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin Alexander, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

...OK, Panasonic brings it to you. Here is a pic I got from the Japanese press release.

[​IMG]

Estimated street date is about 2 weeks according to unconfirmed reports from Panasonic. Aside from 7 channels of amplification and 3 component inputs, it has some other interesting features such as "Dual Amp Technology" and "VGDA" (Variable Gain Digital Amplifier) that you can read about HERE. Looks like it will retail for $399 w/ a street price well below that. This is great news for fans of the Panasonic Digital Receivers.[​IMG]

2. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

How good are these things. Its seems that people either love them or hate them. This makes me think that they are good at some things but so good at others. That said, what kind of set ups do these lend themselves to working well with.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Hmmmm....better keep my eyes on this receiver.

Why do I think there will be a SA-XR75??

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Nah. It will be the SA-XR95 with a parametric EQ and all the other goodies, including more crossover points for the sub. [​IMG] [​IMG]

^ The above response is purely speculation on my part. ^

5. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

I'll be very curious to see if it still has those lousy spring clips instead of binding posts.

6. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

If you have a vested interest in a $300 receiver NOT being a world-beater, then you hate them.

7. Max F

Max F Second Unit

I hope they have pre-outs and they have a variable crossover (instead of one stuck at 100hz).

The crossover is a big one for me.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Having pre-outs on a digital path receiver seems kind-of pointless to me. The whole idea is to keep the stream digital all the way from source through processing to amplification with no D-A conversions to compromise it. Having pre-outs would add a D-A conversion and make it just another pre-pro w/ analog outputs.

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Think they'll make a simple stereo digital receiver anytime?

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The buzz on the internet regarding the Panasonic digital receivers (XR-25/45/50/70) comes from owners who use these for stereo playback.

11. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

From my experience the XR50 did pretty good with HT but for 2 channel music it is pretty lacking. Its not all bad, nice for the price but mostly hype imo.

12. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Here's pics of the back. They finally got rid of those cheesy spring clips and replaced them w/ binding posts.

[​IMG]

Looks like a solid piece of gear.

13. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Garrett

so far I've only heard of one - a Chinese brand at that - who do a Digital Integrated amplifier. most of the others ... in fact the majority of digital amps are stereo power amps. check out the listing at http://www.tripathpower.com/

Edit: on AC, someone translated the japanese press release and it seemed to say that you can use 2 amps to power your speakers if they aren't bi-wireable. If the are, you can use 6 amps - 2 low and 1 high feq per channel. looks like your stereo receiver already [​IMG]

14. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

FeisalK - I love that quote in your sig [​IMG]

The Panasonic looks like a stunning piece of gear. Cannot fault it for the money. Just wish it had a few more digital in's (it IS a digital receiver, and most everything has digital outs.)

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

16. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I'm glad to see them go to 7 channels. I wonder if TI developed a single channel digital amp module for the 7th channel or are they are using a 2 channel module with one disabled?

17. Christopher-M

Christopher-M Auditioning

So how do you guys think this compares to the also-upcoming JVC RX-202B?

I've been waiting for that one to be released, but now that I see this...I do like that back and the binding posts...

18. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

It's still too early to tell whether the JVC or the Panasonic is better. Who knows what they did to these receivers internally that may affect performance in order to squeeze out a couple of dollars more in profit. I am going to be one of those "wait-and-see" people on this new generation of digital receivers.

19. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

%#$$!@. I've made a promise to my wife that I wasn't going to replace any gear for the next 3 years as I'm quite happy with my Pioneer 54TX.

However, I guess I could try out one of the new digital receivers (being a new Panny model or JVC) and run it in parallel to what I have now. After all, I wouldn't be replacing any of my gear. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Did Panasonic make the bass management better yet? I'd buy one to try for stereo use, but the 100Hz. crossover is just too high.