Beginning Of The End For Ebert?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernesto Santos, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

I sense another blow for Roger Ebert's looong presence in the movie going public's eye. The Ebert & Roeper at the Movies web site is down again, and probably for good.
    Check out the site:
    Ebert & Roeper
    First the death of his long time partner, then the long search for his replacement, then the broohaha over Roeper's comments about LOTR. Ever since then no audio and now no site period.
    And, of course this is a very subjective depending on who you talk to, Ebert's opinions over the last two years have become incoherent at best and a total sell out at worst.

2. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

You know if I was Ebert's Agent I would tell him dump the movie review show and start a EBERT ON DVD show. That he alone would review up coming dvd's.
    Nobody listens to critics anymore because of word of mouth & internet. People are going to see movies like PLANET OF THE APES no matter what, but they will need someone to tell them if the dvd is any good.[​IMG]

3. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    OOPS! Does somebody feel just a bit silly.[​IMG]
    Crawdaddy

5. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

:b :b :b :b :b :b :b :b :b :b :b
    Lesson learned: Update links in favorites folder before opening trap. [​IMG]
    A million apologies to all and especially Mr. Ebert. I still think he needs to do something for his career. He seems to be in a slump and I think I am a little qualified to say this since I have been following his impressive work since the early seventies on PBS.
    Les pido un gran perdon a todos.

6. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

I was just on that site today listening to the audio of Ebert / Clinton film discussion. I didn't know Bill was such a film fan!

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

8. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Scott,
    I don't remember it exactly but Roeper said something along the lines of 'all of this over some silly little ring'. The 'silly little ring' is a quote. He came across as completely uninformed and unprofessional in his preparation for the review. He seemed influenced by his lack of interest in the film, at least that was my take on it.
    Check out the LOTR thread for more. IIRC there's a number of posts about it somewhere in the 35+ pages.
    EDIT There's also a thread about Roeper that discussed his LOTR review.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...le+ring+roeper

9. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Actually, Roeper started off with a very good review and critique of the film. I had many of the same criticisms of the film he did. Although I'd give the film a thumbs up, and he gave it a thumbs down. Where he went a stray is when he started debating the merits of the film with Ebert, and he started criticizing the story instead of the film, making a quote such as "this silly little ring." That was the big fuss over his comments. But again, the first part of his review was fine. That was the main offending comment, where we croosed the line.

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Guy, I too was impressed with Bill Clinton's knowledge and range regarding films.

11. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

It's funny how perception is. I hardly think Roeper's mixed Lord of the Rings review is hardly going to kill off the show or get him bumped. While people on online message boards were in an uproar, this didn't create a trickle of news anywhere else that I know. (I missed the show and wouldn't have even known about it if it weren't for the people on here ready to lynch him.)

Ebert seems to be doing quite fine, although some seem to get differing views confused with his "rightness" or "wrongness" and whether he still "has" it.

I met him at his Overlooked Film Festival and don't sense that he plans on slowing down any time soon. He was really enthusiastic and tireless in his activity during the festival.

Then again, the original reason for this post has already been answered.

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Mark, I agree -- the Roeper LOTR review was a tempest in a teapot. It was just a typical Roeper review, and it was easily dismissible. The difference was that he was criticizing a film with a rabid fan base.
    If I were Roeper, I'd be thrilled that my comments got me so much notice. It's probably the most attention that's ever been paid to him. [​IMG]
    M.

13. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Wow, Roeper is an idiot!

I just listened to the audio portion of there LOTR review and he complained that there was no "closure" at the end of the movie...

hmmm....perhaps because it's a TRILOGY!

mike

14. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Actually, I believe he did say other trilogies had some closure. He just felt that the film needed some closure at least. That's a fair criticism, even if it is a trilogy. But the silly ring comment was not a fair criticism.

15. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I wish that Ebert would do more commentaries for DVD's. His commentaries for Dark City and Citizen Kane are fantastic. I would love Ebert to contribute on more upcoming releases for DVD.

I find Ebert's reviews to be hit or miss these days. Some I totally agree on, while others I don't know where he's coming from. His writing style however is fantastic, so I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

16. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

God forbid anyone criticize Lord of the Rings. Who does this guy think he is? A film critic?

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

18. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Damn skippy, Robert!

19. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

He needs to get rid of Ernie.. I mean Roeper.. and move to a different format of show. I don't mind a roundtable discussion of films (remember the Stanly Kubrick special they had?) but hopefully it would be better than the Leonard Maltan show where he has celebrity guests come on. Forget the celebs, just get some film critics and discuss the hell out of a movie.

20. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Ebert is the most respected film critic around, and the fact that he is hitched to a dud like roeper isn't going to impair his career.

PS LOTR sucked.