What's new

Beginning Home Theater on a $1000 budget...Need Help!!! Any Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Seeing as this is my first post on this board, hello to everyone. I am trying to build my first home theater and am working with a budget around $1000. After researching the forum Ive come up with a few ideas for the components that I need:

Receiver - Kenwood vr-509

Speakers - JBL NSP-1

Sub - Sony SA-WM40

DVD Player - Panasonic RV31 (I think thats the model number)

Because I am so new to home theater and see so many different opinions, I was wondering if you all could give me some advice and suggestions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DanaA

Screenwriter
Alex,

First of all, welcome. It looks like you've done an excellent job researching what to buy and have picked out some excellent bang for the buck components. One thing I'd suggest is that you consider the Toshiba 4700 DVD player, instead of the Panasonic. This is not a put down of the Panasonic, but a consideration that the Toshiba is a progressive scan, which I don't think the Panasonic is. This might not make much of an immediate difference depending on what type of TV you're watching, but you always want to also consider what you might be using as a TV down the line. I think the cost of the Toshiba is pretty much in line with that of the Panasonic. Also, like a car, a good system needs a good tune-up to run properly. After buying your equipment, I'd do a search of how people adjust/set-up their systems to fine tune them. It really does make a very significant difference.

Wow, it's all pretty exciting isn't it?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
yes but the SD4700 costs more than the RV31. Panny's RP56 is in the same price range and a better player IMO. however the '4700 has DVD-A if thats a factor to you.

Alex- welcome to the fastest legal wallet-draining hobby! i think you did an excellent job choosing, as thats EXACTLY what i suggest to people on a budget (like myself).

good luck!

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Im not as much concerned with dvd-audio or super-cd audio. I do think that progressive scan would probably be good seeing as when i graduate college im probably going to get a hdtv thats much bigger. I have a 32" toshiba now and that has component inputs so im pretty good to go. Any other suggestions. Also if anyone has ideas on where to go to find the items at the lowest prices it would be greatly appreciated. I found JandR for the speakers and pretty much everywhere online has the sub for around 170-175. Im trying circuit city for the receiver but they're out of stock everywhere, even online and the dvd player i have to decide on first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Alex,

I like what you have picked out. My only suggestion would be:

Kenwood HTB-504 - $400

Panasonic RV-31 - $180

Adire Audio Rava - $400

Upgrade the speakers later on. The sub should stay in your system for a long time to come.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Well today I picked up an open box sony sa-wm40 sub at best buy for 160 with the 4 year protection plan. I also got an open box panasonic rp-56 dvd player with progressive scan for 160, also with the protection plan. Don't you just love buying after christmas? If anyone has the rp-56 can you let me know what you think about it. Ill post a seperate thread just in case. Thanks.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Ryan - Ive read around on the HB504 and most people end up replacing the speakers within 1 year. My question is, why not just buy speakers your happy with in the first place. As for the riva, well I was considering that, but then I found the sony and couldnt pass it up at that price.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I found the JBL set online for $287. 4x N24's + one dual 5" ctr.
Now if I can just remember the site.......:angry:

BryanZ

Screenwriter
You may indeed be happy with the JBLs. However, from what I've read they are not that good for music.

Gail M

Agent
Hi Alex: Welcome to the HTF and to HT in general! We just finished setting up our upstairs game room HT and it includes the JBL NSP1 setup and the Sony sub. They are very nice and cost effective solutions, especially for a first HT setup. We got our JBLs at J&R Music World for $299 delivered , but last time I looked they were out of stock. Check them out here. http://www.jandr.com/ Also, we just love getting BB's open box specials. With their return policy, how can you go wrong... Good Luck and Enjoy!

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Well low and behold, later on today I walked into a Circuit City and found an open box Kenwood vr-509. 240 with tax and they are ordering the remote and the manual for me. I think that I am blessed.

Oh by the way, for all of you interested in the kenwood vr-509, Circuit City is no longer carrying it. Just thought Id give you all the heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks