What's new

Beginners home theatre setup... tips needed (1 Viewer)

tamang088

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Lee
Hi there.. !! So i recently moved into my new house and this house currently has a finished basement. (It is not very big) So since it is not being used for any other purposes i was planning on setting up a home theatre setup but since am not an expert on this field i was looking to get some helpful tips from you guys any kinds of tips such as how big of a projector screen should i purchase? where should i place the screen and such. I have uploaded some google sketchup models of the basement with the measurements. I know its not the very best models but any kind of tips would be greatly appriciated. :D Ps. I also own a 720p projector and a decent home theter speaker and blue ray system ohh and also a ps3. - Chris

Edwin_D

Grip
It seems to me like there are two suitable choices for screen placement. One would be centered on the 20' wall, the other would be toward the left of the 7 ft wall. The biggest difference between the two locations would be the width of the potential seating area. If you are only going to have seating for a few people, then it is not an issue. If you want seating for more than 2-3 people, then you are probably looking at two rows of seating, if you choose to put the screen on the 7' wall. You may then need a riser for the second row of seating, to ensure an unobstructed view of the screen.

Real Name
Jan
Hi, I don't know how much time and effort you want to spend on this room, but if it was my situation, I would replace (when possible) the door from the small room (first picture) to you heating system room. In that case you have a nice projection wall and furthermore you front speakers would have a 'similar' left and right wall. If you change the set-up 180 degrees, your left frontspeaker would be placed near the stairs (and that is not something you want). Maybe it is even better to place a wall between the stairs and your HT-room to make it more symmetrical. Just my 50 cents! Good luck. Regards, Jan

Vagabond

Agent
Real Name
Eric
Id do a little demo and rebuld walls to suit. 1. move door to heating room to understairs or next to stairs if possible. 2. completely remove the little room to the right at the bottom stairs. 3. if you need storage room I would move the far wall up a little 4. 9 foot wide should fit a few nice seats across 2 rows minimum. 5. enter the new storage room from the heater room. 6. wall in the stairs. if you want it open open the wall at the landing. just my quick thoughts as I looked at the pics. Now without know seats and such you want or would like This plan could be revised. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks