Beginner question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by adrian12, Mar 8, 2013.

1. adrian12

adrian12 Auditioning

I am looking to purchase a home theater system and I do not know where to start. I would like one to have great sound for movies possibly music. My budget is @ $300.00. I also need easy installation. I was researching the JBL and the Onkyo. Our TV is an older big screen Hitachi. If anyone has any good ideas please let me know. Thank you!!!

2. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Ok when you say older Hitachi you need to be more specific. It would help us greatly to have a model number... It would also help us to know what you plan to watch on your TV (xbox, ps3, cable box, blu ray, Laser Disc, Wii, VCR, etc) I'll tell you why. If you don't have an HDMI input on your TV the whole game changes... probably 100% of new TVs have HDMI and one way receiver manufactures have lowered costs is to reduce inputs and outputs such as component (Red Green Blue). I would go with the Onkyo's. They all seem to have component out as well as HDMI out. Check out http://www.accessories4less.com there you will find some cheap onkyo systems with speakers.

3. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    If the Hitachi doesn't have HDMI, and you aren't going to replace the TV in the near future, I recommend you get a used receiver with component outputs. Component is as good as HDMI for video, and there a boatload of great used receivers out there from people upgrading to HDMI.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Depends what he means by "older"... Does it have DVI? Hopefully he doesn't mean like a circa 1995...

5. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

lol Anderson read what you wrote :p

6. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Unfortunately, I wasn't *trying* to be funny, so I edited it. Sometimes my fingers type things that aren't in my head. (That's like the opposite of having voices in your head.)