Beginner needs advice

Discussion in 'Photography' started by chshell, Dec 12, 2006.

1. chshell

chshell Auditioning

I'm about to buy my first video camera so I'm completely new to all this. I want to make home movies and put them on the internet. Are there particular digital formats that cameras use that are more suitable for the Internet? Will I have to convert the recordings to a new format for the internet? If so how do I do this?

All advice gratefully received.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Yes, you will need to encode the video to a new format for easy web browser based viewing. I would suggest getting a DV camera and a firewire card for your computer (if it doesn't already have firewire). DV cameras are very easy to interface with existing movie software and won't require any conversion from the tape to the HDD. Windows movie maker (free) allows you to make rudimentary movies and encode them to WMV (as well as pull video off the camera). Quicktime and DivX are other popular internet formats (encoders may cost $). http://www.videohelp.com/ is the place to find all your answers (basic to advanced).

3. chshell

chshell Auditioning

Thanks Greg, appreciate the help, the website looks really informative.[​IMG]