What's new

Beethoven Hi Rez Piana Sonatas and Symphonies? (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to buy hi rez versions of Beethoven's complete sonatas and his symphonies. Can anyone make a recommendation? I like the music, but don't know which perfomances I should be looking to. I would like multichannel if possible, preferably SACD. Box sets of regular CDs are okay, too. Thank you.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIRC the only set of the symphonies on DVD-A is the Barenboim. I've heard a couple of his B interpretations and consider him quite pedestrian.

So the rest of the high res B symphonies are all on SACD.

The SACD Herbey (von Karajan) set on DDG is pretty good...it's his 1964 cycle and by many standards is the best of his endlessly-recorded B cycles.

There are separate SACD recordings of many of the B symphonies, including the Szell 3rd, the Walter 6th, and the Carlos Kleiber 5th and 7th. All of these are marvelous.

You aren't going to get multichannel.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Abbado and Berlin Philarmonic versions of all nine symphonies have been released on dvd-audio. Supposedly Abbado is one of today's great conductors, although I am no expert, not by a long shot.

There was a very positive and very thorough review of Abbado's rendition of 7th and 8th symphony on high fidelity review site:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=15248308

I recently bought the 5th and 6th symphony by Abbado during the latest deep discount dvd sale, just to try it out, before I buy other sypmphonies. I haven't had a chance to listen to it though.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
With the Symphonies, you'd be better off buying individual releases; the complete cycles are mostly iffy.

As for the sonatas, not much is out there. Ronald Brautigam has begun recording all of them on SACD, but he's only on disc 2 of what will be a 17 disc set. Disc 1 was excellent; disc 2 will be out next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks