What's new

Bedroom XBOX HT (1 Viewer)

Mike_HT

Agent
I've been thinking about this for awhile and decided it was time to ask the wise. I just switched bedrooms and thought it would be a good idea for some changes. I have the Altec Lansing 641 speakers for my computer but am now hooking them up to my xbox/TV which is directly in front of my bed. I use my xbox for all my music/movie/divx playing. My main purpose for all this is to take advantage of divx with AC3. Here is the idea:
1)Get a *cheap* receiver (any recommendations?)
2)Hook up the 4 satellites as mains and surrounds
3)Buy a JBL S-Center etc for the center channel (Am thinking about buying a complete JBL setup later on)
4)Hook up the sub to the receiver
Is there anyway this will work?? Which cable would I need to buy for the xbox audio output? Sorry...lots of questions but if it works like this its a pretty easy/cheap surround setup using equipment I already own. Thanks in advance for any help :D
...and before I get myself into trouble..I'm not talking about playing illegal copies here...

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
You'll need is the XBOX Advanced AV pack and a digital optical cable. And as for you "cheap" reciver: how about a Kenwood 500w with Dolby Digital (most XBOX games can be heard in Dolby Digital) and DTS. Here's a link where you can buy all you need for about $220. If the link doesn't work I got all the info from Best Buy and it shoud be pretty easy to find.
http://www.bestbuy.com/basket/loadba...t=783&scat=803

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Since the Altec Lansing speakers you have are powered (have their own amplifiers and don't use those of the receiver), you will need a receiver with pre-outs for all channels. This option is not available on most low end receivers. The cheap Kenwood receiver Adam mentioned does not have pre-outs for all channels. Most receivers under $300 will only have pre-outs for the subwoofer, and possibly the center channel.
The cheapest receiver I've been able to find with pre-outs for all channels is the Pioneer VSX-D811S. Right now it's available for $299 from Best Buy and usually goes for slightly less online after shipping. The D811S is a very capable receiver and very well liked around the HT Forum, but may be more than you want to spend. If you are willing to spend the money now, the D811S would be a fine choice and would last you well into the future. For more info on it and other receivers, check out the Receivers/Amps/Pre-amps section of the forum. Also, the JBL Studio line is a great choice, but depending on how long down the line it's going to be before you upgrade the rest of your speakers, you may want to go with a cheaper center, such as the JBL N-Center which can be had for around $90 online. The S-Center (and even the N-Center) would really out-class your current speakers. This isn't really a problem, but it might do you better in an economic sense to go with a more modestly priced center channel if your speaker upgrades are going to be more than 6 months to a year down the road.
As for cables, if you went the receiver route, you would need, as Adam said, either the Advance AV Pack (S-Video) or the High Definition AV Pack (Component Video). These are breakout boxes that add the capability to output in video in their respective formats and also both output digital audio through an optical cable. The optical cable is not included in either package and must be purchased separately.
Hope this helps :)

Mike_HT

Agent
Thanks for clearing everything up for me Stephen. Do have one last question though...will I have any troubles connecting the speakers and sub to the receiver at all? Any chances that this setup wont work? (Sorry thats 2;) )
I just read about the OneCall deal...it is tempting now. Got 2 days to decided. :eek:

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't have much trouble hooking everything up. You may have to pick up a couple of cables from Radio Shack though depending on the inputs on the sub/speakers.

The pre-outs on receivers are RCA type plugs. I'm guessing the inputs on your speaker system are 2 1/8" minjacks, one for left/right front and one for left/right rear. You'll probably have to pick up a couple of stereo RCA to stereo 1/8" minijack cables, but these are usually less than $5 each.

Hope this helps.

Mike_HT

Agent
The satellites I believe use 16-gauge wire (this is what I know other people have used to extend the length) that is plugged into the back and is not removable. I posted it over in the connections forum
Thanks again for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks