What's new

Bedknobs & Broomsticks (1971) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I've no words - just utterly disappointed and disillusioned. Disney just seems intent on crapping on their long-term customers at every possible turn.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Mary Poppins" was a missed opportunity, in terms of new extras. We basically got a mish-mash of stuff from the 40th and 45th Anniversary DVD packages. Geez... who is running the place?!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
darkrock17 said:
Disney has just earned WORST STUDIO for 2014, with WB coming at #2.
Warners is picking up its game - we've already received announcements for several wonderful titles with more to come in 2015.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
classicmovieguy said:
Geez... who is running the place?!
I don't even know who is who or what is what at this company anymore after all these corporate restructurings. Since home video got folded into the Consumer Products division, these editions started to get progressively less special each year, and the output of catalog titles has slowed to a crawl. Whoever it is, I think we all deserve an explanation.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'll bet Scott MacQueen is steaming... the restoration of the film was a labour of love for him, and to have all that hard work swept under the rug (or shunted into the 'bonus features') is an insult.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I already said we need to find whoever was in charge of Bedknobs and have them drawn and quartered at dawn, then take their body parts; grind them up finely and then feed them to seagulls.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
classicmovieguy said:
I'll bet Scott MacQueen is steaming... the restoration of the film was a labour of love for him, and to have all that hard work swept under the rug (or shunted into the 'bonus features') is an insult.
He may not even know about it, as it's two weeks until the street date and no reviews have come up. He's working at UCLA now as head of preservation.

But poor Richard M. Sherman. How do you think he'll feel when he finds out?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm so upset for Angela and Richard... what a waste. Disney had 1 CHANCE to really make this film shine on Blu and they failed. And I'm torn... I want this film on Blu-ray but I can't enjoy the film like I used to after being exposed to the superior extended cut.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
classicmovieguy said:
I'm so upset for Angela and Richard... what a waste. Disney had 1 CHANCE to really make this film shine on Blu and they failed.
That must be the ultimate slap to face in their carrers, all that work she's done over the years for this film and same goes for The Sherman Brothers, this being their basically last Disney film.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Limiting ourselves to what is physically possible and legal, what can we do besides not buy the disc? I cancelled my pre-order and advise everyone to do the same and call 1-800-72-DISNEY to tell them why.

No restored version = no sale.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Though I would have preferred both cuts on the disc, I am still getting it. It should be pointed out that many people consider the 117 minute cut to be the definitive version of the movie. It might interest some to know that the longer cut had never been viewed by the public before the 25th Anniversary. The film was cut down to 117 minutes before its premiere.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It may have been cut before the premiere, but it should not have been. The 117 minute version's very existence is because of studio greed and a short-sighted desire to squeeze in an extra showing a day, but that they had such a strong foundation of a film from which to make these cuts in the first place speaks volumes about the effort everyone involved put in. The film came in 10th for the year; imagine how much better it would have done if they had given final cut privileges to, say, Bill Walsh instead of a gang of seven who couldn't manage to do what one Walt Disney could do. Think about what the 1970s could have been for Disney if Bedknobs had been a hit. They shouldn't have been allowed to cut one frame of film or one note of music out of this film.

The Sherman Brothers disowned the end result and left the studio because they got tired of the studio pulling this stunt three times in a row. The film is not better without the complete score intact, nor is it better without any information about the children's life before the war, nor with Mr. McDowall's and Ms. O'Shea's contributions worn down to a nub. Disney could have done a much better job dubbing, but frankly, Disney Character Voices has a spotty track record re-casting character voices and this is not an isolated incident. Remember Aladdin and "Arabian Nights"?

I never want to see the short version again. Nor will I knowingly give my money to anything in which they have their hands. Goodbye, Disney. To deprive consumers of a seamless branching option here while offering one for another film is unforgivable, not to mention the absence of 3-D Blu-rays in Region A, so-called restorations that make films unwatchable, price-gouging in the parks while wages stay stagnant, and so much more. This is but one of many transgressions that has made me hate supporting you. It was nice knowing you.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I wont give up Disney all together, but instead ONLY the watch pervious releases on DVD and VHS, I wish I had some Disney on LaserDisc though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks