What's new

Bedknobs and Broomsticks blu-ray on August 12 (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert Crawford said:
Is that the 139 minute version?
No. The theatrical version runs 117 minutes. It does seem odd that since the extended roadshow cut has been the only version available on video for the last 18 years, that they would revert to the theatrical cut for Blu-ray. The only explanation I can see is that it must be because of the really poor condition of the elements of the added scenes.
But is there anything official from Disney yet that confirms this is the shorter version?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark-P said:
No. The theatrical version runs 117 minutes. It does seem odd that since the extended roadshow cut has been the only version available on video for the last 18 years, that they would revert to the theatrical cut for Blu-ray. The only explanation I can see is that it must be because of the really poor condition of the elements of the added scenes.
But is there anything official from Disney yet that confirms this is the shorter version?
Good so the 30th Anniversary DVD I have in my collection that was released in 2001 is the extended cut. Funny thing, it says on the back of the DVD case that the audio and video were fully restored which leads to the question what does fully restored mean?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Disney may not believe it's feasible to restore the extended version on Blu-ray, or they are just using the 1080p elements of the theatrical version currently at their disposal. Either way I think its a tragedy as there's no way I can ever return to the theatrical version after seeing the superior extended cut.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Save for one minute of the "Portobello Road" dance that was taken from a workprint (and that isn't nearly as far gone as some films that have had scenes put back in them have had to deal with), the film elements that were put back in seem to match pretty well in the 1080p HD master I got from VUDU, the same one that is also still on iTunes.

They restored this on film. They even copyrighted it again and sent the Library of Congress a print.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
"The Blues Brothers" exists on bluray in its extended cut, with inserted scenes that showed a marked degradation in quality... and nobody really complained. Not sure why B&B can't enjoy the same presentation.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Ethan Riley said:
"The Blues Brothers" exists on bluray in its extended cut, with inserted scenes that showed a marked degradation in quality... and nobody really complained. Not sure why B&B can't enjoy the same presentation.
1941 may also get the same consideration. Perhaps if John Belushi had played Mr. Browne... :D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It just occurred to me: every announcement I've read has specs saying this has a 5.1 soundtrack, but I have never, ever seen the short version available in stereo at all.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Robert Crawford said:
Is that the 139 minute version?
No, it's the 117 minute version. I'm still hoping it's a mistake, taken from an old press release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks