What's new

Becks New Album to support DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Interesting news. I wonder if the new release will support both SACD and DVD-Audio. As for 'Sea Change' and Nick Drake being 'depressing,' I'll simply say that bad music is depressing, great music is always uplifting, and Beck and Nick Drake are both songwriters of genius. If you want to blow your head off, feel free to do so if you like Kenny G, N Sync, or whatever is playing on MTV right now.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Well said! And yes, I'm hearing that it will support both formats. I'm not sure if the SACD will be released at the same time though.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering

It is already listed on the Universal site as a normal DVD-A release with a seperate CD included. No DualDisc. It is not listed as a SA-CD release though. So far it has only been announced officially for release on SA-CD overseas.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I wonder why Warner is doing some DVDAs all of a sudden and not releasing a hirez DualDisc instead....strange...maybe they are going to kep DVDA as a premium product.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Didn't Warner give the artists an option whether they wanted to use DualDisc or CD+DVD-A.

I thought I read that in one of these threads.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
The CD+DVD-Audio packages Warner and now Universal are releasing (coined DoubleDisc) are very welcome as far as I'm concerned. I hope this is the official back-up plan to DualDisc!

Cheers,

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

I hope this is the official "let's stomp Dual Disc back to the stone age where it belongs along with the Elcaset, DCC, etc." plan:D

BGL

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I believe, in Warner's case, they're leaving it up to the artist (I also read that somewhere some months ago). I guess Seal, Beck and REM are nice/savvy enough to give us what we want (though the companies are charging more for these than the DualDiscs they make for other artists--things that make you go HMMMM?)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Well, Beck's new CD/DVD will be released next week. My concern is, none of the ads I see actually states that this is DVD-A. It only says DVD 5.1, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a DVD-A disc.

Can anyone confirm??

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Can anyone tell me if the Uni DVD-As have the same problem with the Pioneer DV-563A that the Warner ones do? I never got mine updated and would like to know this before I invest in the DVDA or wait for an SACD.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
John -

Unless you want to stick with SACD-only releases going forward, I would absolutely have Pioneer do the free firmware update. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot what DVD-A discs will or won't work in your player. It's an inconvenience, but I would just get it done and get it over with.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Michael,

Well if this disc has a surround mix anything like Sea Change, it's going to be awesome.

I've listened through the album already a few times, and it's more like Odelay than anything else, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. I was really suprised by the craftmanship of Sea Change though, I kind of wish he would go more down that road....but that wouldn't be Beck huh?

The song Summer Girl is really a stand out for me on the new one. There are only a couple songs I don't care for, but most are really good.

Looking forward to this one.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
^Because the album leaked out so early, 4 songs (Chain Reaction, Send a Message to Her (a personal fav) have been dumped off the final album, although their in the LE - not thr 5.1 mix tho, and 4 different songs have been added in. Either way I can't wait, my LE shipped from Amazon today and I cant wait for it to arrive on tuesday.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
$24 for the CD/DVD is a bit steep no? I know if any B&M around here is gonna carry it it'll be Best Buy, but that seems a bit expensive, guess it's cause I only paid $15 at Best Buy for Sea Change.

EDIT: I just checked BestBuy.com and it is listed for $15.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks