What's new

Beatles recordings (New issues and reissues). (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was listening to a Beatles special this morning, and discovered that during this month and next, there is a ton of material being released. Some of it is new, while some of it is not. This information is sketchy, as I'm relying on what I heard and have not researched any of the titles at this point. If anyone runs across some links, please feel free to post them. :)

The John Lennon Signature Box Collection, which will include remasters of every album as well as a lot of other material, is due out in October. The thought and mixing of Double Fantasy album got a lot of attention on this special.

The Beatles Red (1962-1966) and Blue (1967-1970) albums are being remastered, and will include expanded booklets. I might pick this one up, as I have fond memories of this set, on both LP and CD.

Paul McCartney's Band On the Run album is being reissued.

The George Harrison - Ravi Shankar collection, which will include most if not all of their collaborative recordings, will be released. I didn't hear if rehearsal material is on this set, but I believe it will be to some extent.

Lastly, every artist that ever recorded on the Apple label (additional to the Beatles) is being released sometime in October. I believe that the working title of this is Come Together.

There were a few other titles that I heard are being released, but I can't recall exactly which ones. I will post more information as I receive it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I wasn't sure where this ought to be posted -- maybe in a science and technology thread? I posted it here because of the Beatles connection.

Astronomers Find Diamond Star 4,000 km Wide.

"The cosmic diamond is a [0]chunk of crystallized carbon, 4,000 km across, some 50 light-years from the Earth in the constellation Centaurus. It's the compressed heart of an old star that was once bright like our Sun but has since faded and shrunk. Astronomers have decided to call the star 'Lucy,' after the Beatles song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.'"

https://science.slashdot.org/story/10/09/14/1317201/Astronomers-Find-Diamond-Star-4000-km-W|

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very cool, Scott.

Anyone have details on the Band on the Run reissue? I know it was delayed from its August release but I still have not seen details of what's on it. Supposedly, it is the kick off for McCartney's catalog remasters. I've held off buying the few Macca albums I don't have on CD, waiting for the news.

Can someone also please get Paul, Ringo, Yoko or Olivia to nail down when we might see Let It Be on DVD or Blu-Ray?!? No less than Bruce Springsteen commented yesterday that among the albums he would have liked to see being made were Pet Sounds, Highway 61 Revisited and Let It Be. (Bruce was at the Toronto Film Festival, promoting The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story, a documentary on the making of that album.) Clearly, Let It Be has been out of print so long that even The Boss doesn't remember it!

Here's a link to the Springsteen story with his comments on Let It Be, etc.: http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/tiff/2010/2010/09/14/15352591.html

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
Paul McCartney's Band On the Run album is being reissued.  

Lastly, every artist that ever recorded on the Apple label (additional to the Beatles) is being released sometime in October. I believe that the working title of this is Come Together.

Band On The Run...again?! YEESH, they're super-dipping on this title, it's been released a ton over the years.

I also heard about the Apple stuff...wasn't James Taylor originally on Apple? If so, I recall seeing that his stuff was being remastered and is soon to be released.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Ron,

I think Taylor's name was mentioned during this special as well.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Very cool, Scott.

Anyone have details on the Band on the Run reissue? I know it was delayed from its August release but I still have not seen details of what's on it. Supposedly, it is the kick off for McCartney's catalog remasters. I've held off buying the few Macca albums I don't have on CD, waiting for the news.

Sam,

Here is more information with regard to Band On the Run, which I received only a few moments ago:

Paul McCartney & Wings’ legendary Band On The Run to be reissued MPL and the Concord Music Group are pleased to announce the re-release of Paul McCartney & Wings’ iconic Band on the Run. Heralded as one of the greatest albums of all time, the Grammy winning, smash #1 album - originally released December of 1973 - yielded the immortal title track and world-wide hit “Jet” becoming Wings’ most successful and celebrated album ever.

http://thebeatles.com/#/news/Paul_McCartney_Wings_Legendary

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
I have the 30th (or was it 25th?) anniversary box for Band On The Run. I do believe it was Paul's best. I'm very happy with my copy, and would only be interested in a 5.1 mix at this point.

I'll probably grab the red and blue albums as they do include a few mix differences (more so on blue).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hey, I'm reading that the new John Lennon Signature Box being released this week will not contain the Double Fantasy Stripped Down version that was just created. That's what the review in EW said as well as many posts on Amazon. Can anyone confirm this? Seems like a good reason not to buy the new set.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
That's definitely not Stripped Down in the box set pictures. I received my copy of DF/SD today, and it has a different, hand-drawn cover.

I'm not that excited by the new mixes, either. I find myself missing things like backing vocals and synthesizers. At least the original album is included on DF/SD, although I already had two copies of that on CD, including one with Yoko's bonus track of Walking on Thin Ice.

The box set is tempting me. Does anyplace have it cheaper than Amazon for $151, no tax, and free shipping?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill
The box set is tempting me. Does anyplace have it cheaper than Amazon for $151, no tax, and free shipping?

Yes. Check DeepDiscount.

I'm still waiting until after it is released to see if I will get it. The sticking point is whether DF/SD is included in the box. If not, well, that's just going to suck.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm sure that on September 26th there'll be an announcement of a special 50th edition of The White Album, along the lines of Sgt Pepper last year. I think it's a November release, it'll be interesting to see how many extra tracks & demos & how many discs.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm sure that on September 26th there'll be an announcement of a special 50th edition of The White Album, along the lines of Sgt Pepper last year. I think it's a November release, it'll be interesting to see how many extra tracks & demos & how many discs.
If there's no announcement, do you think it'll be Helter Skelter all over the place? ;)

CHEERS! :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If there's no announcement, do you think it'll be Helter Skelter all over the place? ;)

CHEERS! :)

No, but it will be Cry, Baby, Cry and then Back to the U.S.S.R., where Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Maybe it will be out in time for Rocky Raccoon's Birthday. If not, there may be a Revolution.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What's the significance of holding an announcement until Sept. 26?

The original album was released Nov. 22, 1968.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What's the significance of holding an announcement until Sept. 26?

The original album was released Nov. 22, 1968.

Yup, I read that somewhere, an announcement about the announcement, & the release date is November 9th. It will be interesting to see what they do with it, it wasn't all recorded at Abby Road, & I think a fair bit of re-mastering & re-mixing has been done & hopefully a lot of extra stuff. I will be buying this, but maybe not the super-duper, many discs, very expensive version.

Oh, & while we're on The Beatles, there's a two & six disc (including two Blu-rays) special edition of John Lennon's Imagine released on October 5th.

https://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Ulti..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=80WSK261T5GFERPSH7EE

Last edited:

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
All I want is a blu-ray with a multichannel mix. I don't want anything else to jack up the price. And I'd prefer Revolver or Rubber Soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks