Be afraid...Manos: Hands of Fate is on DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JeremySt, Nov 19, 2003.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    From DVD Drive in....

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/capsulereviews.htm

MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE (1966) Director: Hal Warren, Alpha Home Video. An unhappily married couple and their oblivious young daughter take a detour through the desert en route to their vacation spot and find themselves lost. They are forced to spend the night at a dilapidated house occupied by the very weird Torgo, who is part of a Satanic cult residing in the backyard! Probably the most infamous obscure bad movie of all time, this Texas regional chiller was all but forgotten until Comedy Central's "Mystery Science Theater 3000" grabbed hold of it and lampooned the cheesy Satanic cult story to create one of its best-loved episodes. Unfortunately, most viewers who blast the film have never seen it in a complete version, which is why this Alpha disc is a godsend! It appears to be culled from Sinister Cinema's print, which lops off about 30-40 seconds of the opening drive, but includes all the footage sliced from the film for it to fit into the MST3K timeslot. Performances, camerawork, lighting, and editing are awful at best, but what most viewers might finally be able to appreciate about this film is its eerie otherworldly quality. I'm not saying it's an undiscovered masterpiece, but it does succeed in disorienting the viewer, the feel of a regional low-budget film is reminiscent of the later TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, and the shock ending is very surprising! And I'm probably the only person in the world who would love a MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE soundtrack album; this jazzy score is hip! The Alpha disc, other than missing the 30-40 seconds near the beginning, is quite a welcome surprise release! Until someone steps up to the plate and tries to track down the original elements (Something Weird Video, we're looking at you!), MANOS will never look great. Bleeding colors and a brown tint to the whole film actually does help the dreadful atmosphere, and the muffled dubbed soundtrack (recorded by only four people!) sounds as bold as it ever will. Even though it's just a budget DVD, this is one of my favorite discs of 2003! Long live Manos! (Casey Scott)

The MST3K release does not contain the unedited version, so as far as I know, this is the first time it has been available as a standard release. I was thinking of inviting all my friends over, and telling them we are going to watch a classic movie... then see how long it takes for them to go insane.

2. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

"Please, audiences, whatever you do, don't reveal the shocking ending of Manos..."

3. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

So can we now see that Torgo is really supposed to be a centaur and not just a guy with knobby knees?

--ian

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

"The Master would be pleased"

Bruce

5. Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher Stunt Coordinator

LOL.. the MST3K release of that movie is hilarious.

"gee. Torgo's really hitting the thighmaster." (or something to that effect)

[​IMG]

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

"Manos?"
    "Hands of fate?"
    "YES!"

8. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately it is released by Alpha. How is the transfer? I don't expect a digitally remastered masterpiece, but some Alphas I have seen were literally unwatchable. I only own one, Fury Of The Wolfman, which has an acceptable transfer, though not a great one.

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Didn't the MST3K have the uncut movie on the B side?

10. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Nope. Its a single sided DVD, containing the MST3K'd version only. Although it does have the "poopie!" blooper reel as a special feature.

11. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

I was amazed they did not have the original version on the disc. I thought it was public domain.