What's new

BD+ Advanced Countermeasure: How Blu-Ray can hose your player (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Good to see you again, Francis.
Still taking the anti-HD disc stance on the HD disc forum, I see.
Well, with Sony, we do indeed take a closer step to your favorite rallying cry; "draconian" measures. Evil, does indeed lurk everywhere. Of coarse, your coarse of skipping the HD disc thing altogether, would indeed eliminate any chance of your dooms day predictions coming true.
Hope it's still OK with you if some of us and only really the enlighten, should be among those, dip their toe in the glorious HD bath. With your posts ringing in their ear, of coarse.
People today are enjoying HD disc (well, at lest those with HD DVD are ;-) ), and will continue to do so tomorrow, as well. Some day the "Hollywood Hammer" may indeed slam down. And that will be a dark day in HT.
Till then, I hope everyone can enjoy the fruits of HD disc. With the appropriate warnings, of coarse.

Glad to catch a post of yours again.
This week I was thinking of starting a where's Francis thread. Stating how you, and you alone, are capable of starting a three page discussion with a single post.

I guess it goes without saying you have not bought into HD disc.
Have you had a chance to see it?

From another forum I've learned the term "trolling", since I last saw a post from you. I saw it on the HD DVD threads & forums from BD posters, and many have said they see HD DVD trollers on the BD threads & forums. It greatly takes away the pleasure of HT.

Funny how your post appears, the day after I notice the sticky thread is gone. Maybe its fate? Maybe your just what the Dr. ordered? Whatever the case maybe I also believe we must be ever diligent in our hobby. Yet at the same time, the "hobby" has never look so good!
(and I'm awaiting it to never sounding so good)

To you, this is the apple the serpent wishes us to take a bite of.
To me, this is the cherry on the top of the sundae.
Fake color, overly sweeten, and watch out for the stem.
Butt, and oh so fine way to top off the HT experience!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not sure what ‘complete control over content means’ and I really can’t get my head around how firmware updates (that have corrected problems in the Toshiba player) mean that Hollywood owns the player’s owner.

And I note that you managed to imply that firmware updates are somehow bad, while ignoring the very positive benefit that they brought to the owners.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed, I think this might be the only way to avoid games and movies going up in price.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
This is exactly why my HD-DVD player will never be hooked up to the internet, and waiting for the fw upgrades in the mail gives me the time to research exactly what the update does, and then decide whether to implement it. As it stands, the only functionality I want that is not yet addressed by the 2.0 update, is DTS-HD. The long load time, while mildly irritating, is not a problem. Other than that, there is really nothing to entice me to apply another update beyond 2.0. Even then, if I were to find that it somehow dictated what I can play, or when I can play it, or whatever.... I simply would not apply it (news like that would spread like wildfire on HT forums). But, the 2.0 update has been out for a couple of weeks, and nobody has reported such measures...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks