What's new

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic...Announced! (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You know, if they came up with an original show that shared a very similar premise to BSG, people might say "It's kind of a ripoff of BSG, but it's actually pretty good." By actually using names and designs from the original show, they're going to get a lot of "They've ruined BSG!", regardless of whether the show stands on its own.

Do they really not understand this???

This whole concept of "re-imagining" old properties that's been so common over the past few years really irks me to no end. "We're just re-using names and designs for marketing purposes" is more like it!

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I attended the new Sci-Fi channel's Battlestar Galactica panel at the San Diego Comic-Con last weekend. On the panel were the producer/writer and 3 cast members: the actor playing the new Apollo, the female Starbuck actress, and an actress playing a Cylon humanoid character named Number 6 - I wonder where they ripped off that name from?

They revealed in this 2 part (4hour) miniseries the cylons are no longer all-metal robots, they are humanoid looking and infiltrate with the humans - sounds more like a terminator to me. The female Starbuck has some of the traits from Dirk Benedict's character like she still smokes cigars! The writer revealed he was forced to include a kid (Boxey) character - but there will be no mechanical daggets (chimp in a dog suit). There is still a Baltar character I heard them mention.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Exactly like Terminator, which also lets them save lots of money on not building costumes. Wow, Starbabe smokes cigars! That's JUST like Dirk and makes up for everything. As far as Number Six, I'd say it's more of an attempt at homage to The Prisoner, because the idiot mixed up Patrick MacNee and Patrick MacGoohan.

So was there any dissent or did SciFi stack the deck at their panel just like they delete any dissent from their message boards?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
So was there any dissent or did SciFi stack the deck at their panel just like they delete any dissent from their message boards?
I only witnessed one "classic" BG fan that asked questions like if the panel had seen Richard Hatch's "next-generation" BG trailer he created a couple years ago. They all said no of course. The guy informed them Hatch was going to show it again the next day, someone I doubt they attended! Other than that guy, there was no dissent just some questioning like "Will there be Boxey and the daggett" and so on. Some comparison questions were actually good criticisms of the old show like the outlandish plots on some episodes like Western planets and so on. The new mini-series appears to be much more serious in tone and good casting like Edward James Olmos. I remember they confirmed that some of the "Galactica" language like yarens and so on would be used. The actress playing Starbuck mentioned that even off set she got used to saying things like "FRACK" and couldn't stop.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Not to get too far off topic, but now that Universal has set the BSG series in motion, who wouldn't mind seeing Buck Rogers in the 25th Century? It seems like the next logical step.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
who knows, it might even be decent.
I'm also reserving judgement. In its own right, it might actually be a good mini-series. Bit Vipers and character names do not a BSG remake make. They might as well give everyone the names of the U.S. founding fathers and call it a remake of "1776", but based in space.

What amazes me is that the cast and crew almost seemed to genuinely be caught off guard that fans of the original would actually not approve of all of the changes. "Why, SURE, they'll accept a female Starbuck and Boomer! Why wouldn't they?" :rolleyes

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
who wouldn't mind seeing Buck Rogers in the 25th Century? It seems like the next logical step.
Except Buck is now a woman, Colonel Wilma Deering is now "Wilbur" Deering, a likable backwoods scamp, and Twiki and Dr. Theopolis are gay robot lovers. (Which is quite an accomplishment since Dr. Theopolis is just a head)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Hawk? Well it seems in the Season One finale Buck loses an eye. She's back in Season Two, though, with an eye patch and a new sidekick. Hawk's new name will now be "Parrot".

Avast, ye mateys.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Of course, Hawk gets killed just so John Cleese can make a cameo and say "This is an ex-Parrot!" :)

All right, all right. Stop this! It's silly!

Ah, well. It will be nice to see these episodes again. To anyone's knowledge, are the BG episodes on SciFi edited so that they can fit more commercials, aka M*A*S*H on FX?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I always wondered about Dr. Theopolis anyway. Remember when he/it first met Buck?

Dr. Theo: "My, you *ARE* a handsome man Buck"

Twikki: "Biddibiddibiddibiddi"

:laugh:

Man, I'm really displaying what a dated-geek I am by even REMEMBERING that quote.... :D

Back to BSG...

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I figured that you'd know, Jeff. ;)

Actually, 5-7 minutes is pretty significant and can adversely affect the story telling. That explains why some scenes seemed to jump without any real reason.

I am assuming that the BSG set is going to be the uncut episodes, thus increasing my desire to have them.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Actually, 5-7 minutes is pretty significant and can adversely affect the story telling."

This is especially true in the last episode "The Hand Of God" where Sci-Fi editing deletes a critical scene that explains why they must ask Baltar for help in infiltrating a Cylon baseship. Or in "Gun On Ice Planet Zero", an entire scene of one character boobytrapping himself after being caught by the Cylons is cut out.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Decent, I'm disspointed that the gag reel isn't on there. I know who has the print of it, and it's been telecined (and since ripped off by 1700 bootleggers)

Too bad there aren't more commentaries too, I almost feel that they should have waited for Galacticon so they could get nearly everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks