What's new

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 (Oct 06) (2 Viewers)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
!it's 7 months away :laugh:!

we can do it here. it looks like the next season will run uninterrupted.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
If waiting a long time for the next season means getting all 20 episodes consecutively, then I'm all for it. I'm tired of the scheduling some of these networks force on us by showing long breaks in between current season episodes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ratings for shows that postpone a regular Sept.-May season to show all episodes consecutively have resulted in lower ratings for just about everyone, so I would not expect this trend to continue. Battlestar is probably committed at this point, but that could change too, as data about Lost, 24 and so on are showing that this strategy isn't as effective as once was believed.

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa

Not necessarily true, USA network has consistent high ratings for their summer shows 4400 and The Dead Zone. These have almost a whole year between seasons, as each is only 13 episodes. People tune in after a long hiatus, because the shows are of high quality. Why would BSG suffer?

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

I don't disagree with the data, but the conclusion might be wrong. Lost has been a lesson in bad implementation. Billing the first 6 or 8 eps as a separate arc that failed to deliver, lengthy hiatus, etc. 24 was extremely successful with the late start in every year of its existence until this one. Not to bring out the 24 fans, but IMO that show has fallen precipitously. It's horrible IMO. Blaming it on the late start when they've always done it that way is missing the point. For the most part, people will watch good tv. There are some screwups to be sure where good shows get ignored.

As for BSG, they need to concentrate on putting out a good product. Fans will watch whenever it's on, as long as it's good. The buzz about the show is out there. SciFi needs to look in the mirror and realize they could preempt anything on their schedule with BSG if they thought it would make a difference. It is their best show. Get good scripts, produce the show, and put it in the best slot you have. End of story.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
What you and I think is irrelevant. What is relevant is what is thought by the academics who study this sort of thing, and the items I listed have been identified as common characteristics of fascist regimes from Germany to Italy to latin America. That's not based on my personal opinion, it is based on analysis by people who study this stuff.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Paul:

A quick perusal of what academics think about fascism revealed many other characteristics that you did not include. But probably best to not continue to discuss this.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Next season will be the last, confirmed by EJO and Katee Sackoff:
http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com...2463&Itemid=99
Excerpted here because site is currently down:

"When asked about the next season of Battlestar, Olmos had this to say, “This will probably be the most extraordinary season of Battlestar, it’s the final season so, it’s definitely going to be the most vicious.”

IESB: Final?

Olmos: You heard it first.

IESB: Are you serious?

Olmos: Very much so."

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
It makes sense, considering what happend near the end of season 3.

I wonder, though, if there isn't bound to be some disappointment? I mean, how can they possible answer all the questions we still have?

If this truly is the last season for BSG, I'm sure that makes it a lot easier to get the Caprica series up and running.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
There's not gonna be a Caprica series. I'm almost certain of it.

I'm surprised at the reporter's reaction at IESB. Well, kinda, IESB is some of the worst "online reporting" there is on the net, and most of their "writers" are, to be kind, fried dogshit, but still--if that woman is covering Battlestar for a geek news site, how does she NOT already know that Galactica is on the outs and needs to wrap up with a bang? How is any of this a surprise. To me, it's reassurance. She's hassling Katee like "What the hell is wrong with them?"

Well "Them" is Ron Moore and David Eick, so I'd imagine not much of anything.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
IESB isn't nearly as bad as AICN. At least they work to get exclusives by getting boots on the ground searching stories out. AICN just waits for the stories to come to them and spins them as spun.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

Movie news isn't war, and IESB isn't embedding reporters. Half the time they're grabbing other people's scoops and throwing a watermark on it anyway, with warnings like "Don't re-publish my stolen intellectual property because it's mine and you can't steal it."

AICN stopped being a first on the scene spoiler site long ago. It's basically a big movie blog now. As such, the writing is now a little more important than being "First." and so I rate the site higher than IESB, since I'm getting the same news in roughly the same time-frame, and the writing on it is "Better" (depending on who's writing it, "better" as a descriptor might be stretching it) than the hyperbolic trainwreck of syllables and overheated bullshit that defines almost every single article out of IESB.

Say what you will about the guy running the site, but AICN has a pretty decent stable of LEGITIMATE WRITERS on their site now. Not as good as some other movie sites, not even in leagues of say, Onion's A/V Club or Chud's Clarence Beaks, but miles ahead of the shit IESB shovels, accurate early "spy reports" or no.

Besides which, InFocus magazine beat IESB to the spoils by about a day on this one anyway, and in a one-on-one interview with Olmos. :)

This has been your way off topic derailment of the Battlestar thread. Now returning to your regularly scheduled ALMOST YEAR LONG HIATUS.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

The link is working now, and Sackoff says it might be the last season, although it sounds likely it will be.

She also says the reason is ratings -- they simply don't get the ratings that a great and expensive show should be getting. (She also hints she'll be in NBC's new Bionic Woman, from producer David Eick).

I'll be sad to see it go, but I would like to see the show resolved, and sooner rather than later. Better to go out on top than to drag on and on with filler episodes.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
If i have to watch any filler episodes next year, i may be done. They have a damn long time to prep some kick ass episodes!

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I am willing to trust Eick and Moore on this one. BSG is a big deal for this network, and I really think that they are supportive of whatevre the show wants to do. If they feel like they have story still to tell, I think it'll keep going - I do know that I'm not going to believe that it's ending until I hear (or see a quote from) Eick or Moore themselves.

FYI, I heard some rumors that there's going to be some kind of BSG fan appreciation event happening in LA on June 6th, I think something about the new season or the movie that's coming up? I don't know, has anyone else heard anything about something like that? I am hoping for more info to come out from somewhere, I'd love a sneak peek at the new season or something?

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
The Fan Appreciation/All Access Event IS happening, apparently it'll include a sneak peak at next season....

It's up on http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/news/

I wonder if it'll be a preview of the next season proper or of the movie thing they are doing? Anyone in L.A. that can go and report back? (All I get is Congress in my area. It's not fair.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks