What's new

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 (Oct 06) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But then they're still a fundamentally different species. The direct connection is lost. It ceases to be about what WE would do when worst comes to do, and becomes aout what this extrordinarily similar but fundamentally different species does when worst comes to worst. The audience becomes outsiders watching an ethnographic study.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine that ever being a good thing -- moving the audience away from the protagonists in the final act. Most narratives strive for the opposite. I want to care more as the story progresses, not less.

--
H

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Robert's theory is really far out -- yet plausible. Not sure what I think of it, though.

I hadn't seen any ads for the episode, so didn't know that the finale was being touted as the revelation of the Final Five. The problem is that within the show itself -- which is all that counts, strictly speaking -- it is not crystal clear that Starbuck is the fifth. The implication certainly is that Tigh, Tyrol, Tory and Anders are Cylons, given Tyrol's own statement, but Starbuck doesn't say anything about being a Cylon herself, nor is there any real hint of it, save for the fact that she's alive and showed up at all in the first place, after going down in a blaze of glory (or should that be despair?) a few eps ago.

As an aside, lots of "T" names in the Five, assuming Kara Thrace is one as well, but that doesn't hold up against Samuel Anders.

As for timeline, regarding the objection about Starbuck having made it to Earth and back in two episodes, there's nothing to indicate how much time has actually passed in toto since Starbuck's death/disappearance. I actually interpreted the fact that Anders is now in uniform, was getting it on with Seelix, and later Tory as well, that a fair bit of time has passed, at least several weeks if not a few months. Granted Lee would then have been involved in pre-trial prep for a while, but that isn't unusual either.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
What happened? This used to be the best show on television.

Actually, it still can be, depending on what kind of rabbit RM manages to pull out of his hat. I think many of us detect a progression toward a lame resolution to the story but hold out hope that RM will manage a satisfying twist to keep the story compelling and worthwhile. He's got nearly a year to do it. Here's hoping he can pull it off.

BTW: How come we haven't started a Season 4 discussion thread yet? ;)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

I didn't know it still wasn't :)

predictability and rote storytelling isn't the guys milieu. So the fact we're befuddled and a little confused but still THIS INVESTED tells me something.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well if all the colonialists are Cylons. Why did the Cylons attack and kill most of them in the first place? How come they don't resurrect like the other Cylons? What about the 12 model theory? If they're some kind of hybrid, why the big deal about Hara?

I think it is more plausible the 4 who now think they are Cylons, have been brainwashed/hypnotized/manipulated into thinking this, than it being a fact.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I guess I wasn't clear. I still think it's the best show on television by a long shot. I'm confident that where my mind thinks the clues seem to be taking me, and where RM will ultimately go, are two completely different paths. He didn't spend that much time in the Trek camp.

But if the final episode of BSG shows the Statue of Liberty in ruins with Bill Adama delivering the line, "Get your hands off me, you damn, dirty Cylon!", I'm NOT going to be happy. ;)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I love the show, but have lost some enthusiasm. I want to thank Ron Moore for his vision to rehabilitate a great concept. 33 may be one of my most favorite tv hours ever. The desperation in that episode was phenomenal. I also want to credit his novel thinking in what seemed like small pieces, but turned out to be huge -- Pegasus shows up, and it's not a good thing; Cain outranks Adama; Galactica is weak, as battlestars go; and the basic struggle among the government, the military and what is best for the people throughout the series. Just a tour de force of great decisions and implementation of concepts.

But (you knew there was a 'but' with all that praise) since the exodus from New Caprica, the main storyline has lost me. Where is it going, why are they doing what they do, how does it fit together, why does it look like there are so many contradictions of what we thought were facts? Looking back, I enjoyed the standalone episodes (of this season) that everyone loves to crush more than the episodes that were critical to the 'main' plot. At least there, I didn't have to question what I thought I knew about the show.

I think the series can still be saved. And I'll be watching. But where I applauded nearly every major creative decision up through the end of Admiral Cain, now I am wondering how they will get out of the box they've written themselves into. I would have been more interested in 'new' cylons, not familiar characters as 'newly discovered' cylons. My wonderful dark desperate show got silly. I'm just not ready to believe that cylon technology had the sleepers in place for 40 years. They were supposed to be primitive. Six was supposed to be 'new.' But you mean to tell me that the cylons evolved half a century before we thought they did, planted sleeper agents, then went away for 40 years and they only could come up with 12 total models? Uh-uh. Doesn't make sense.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
All the hints point to them not being "normal" cylons.

SO, there may be a wierd story like the "gods" left earth, and formed the colonies. Then cast out the colonies to form the huminoid cylons "in there own image", but the cylons chose "evil". Basically, a retelling of the hebrew creation story.

So, as they came close to earth, "energy waves" triggered some special "genes" in Tigh/Tyrol/etc. Sorta like Starget with its "ancient genes".

There are lots of smart ways to handle this. If tigh/tyrol/anders are just "boomer" style sleepers, BSG will loose its audience. It already took a big hit with the boxing/love story mess.

Nick

Don S

Stunt Coordinator
We still don't KNOW the 4 are cylons at all yet, remember. It seems that way, but everyone takes it as a given now....

People talking about whether or not BSG can be "saved" is funny also IMO. This season was weaker than the first 2, but jeez... At worst, it's still better than 95% of what is on TV. It seems people would be happier watching nothing at all, or watching lesser shows than they would be watching (an admittedly weaker season, but still very good) BSG. I am not one of those people however. I appreciate the show, I do NOT want it to end after this 4th year (although it may be worth it to stop all the yapping here), and I certainly appreciate the journey of the show, flawed as it may be at times. It's not a perfect journey so far, but it's better than just about everything else on TV.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I for one would rather watch nothing at all instead of shows i dont like. I do still like this show, but it could pull an X Files really easy if they dont watch out.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I think a problem is that it just hasn't been any fun. Might be well written, directed, acted but NO fun whatsoever.
I have no problem with dark, serious material but a little balance, a little humor or even a little something positive and uplifting for a change (and not just "PHEW! That last jump was successful!)
Every character has been acting like an ass, everybody now hates each other and 4 more humans we maybe "care" something about are cylons?
It's like watching the nightly news, just bummer theater. Shoot, makes me long for one of the old cheesy 1978 episodes, at least they were entertaining.

BrianBr

Agent
Just in case anyone didn't catch this... and maybe it'll hold you over till the BSG returns.

BSG Season 3 GAG REEL

-Brian

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

The number 12 is not just a random number. There is supposed to be one cylon model to represent each of the 12 personaility types (the signs of the zodiac). I guess the cylons figured that one of each was enough. If they need more, they just copy existing models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks