What's new

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 (Oct 06) (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have a quick question: Where did the Sagitarion refugees come from? Did one of the fleets ships break? With Sagitaron being destroyed almost 3 years ago you think they'd have found somewhere to set their cots up by now.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

Oh, and the Adama-Roslin "shipper" fans must be creaming their shorts right about now. At least they did that in a tasteful manner.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Battlestar Galactica 3x15 - "A Day in the Life"

We were treated to another stand alone character-driven episode tonight. What sets it apart from the others is that the character is Adama. Isn't every episode an Adama-driven episode? Apparently not, because this one was and went places the others never have.
Most interesting reveal? That Adama's marriage was at least as screwed up as Tigh's, but while Tigh stuck it out Adama flew the coop for bigger and better things. The scene with Lee in his quarters built upon this in a really satisfying way: All this time I'd been thinking that miniseries-Lee was pissed at Adama because he was the shitty parent and didn't live up to Mommy's example. If anything, the opposite was true. Adama effectively abandoned his children to a woman who didn't come anywhere close to living up to Daddy's example. What a complicated wreckage of family they are.
Also fascinating was the way that Adama's interior thought processes often clashed with his external demeanor. He clearly wanted nothing more than to believe that he left his boys with a great mother; he's also realistic and adult enough to accept that Lee's version of events is much closer to the mark than his own. There were also wonderful moments that hinted at the gentle side of Adama, like his mental exercises to remember every underling's name. He's so authoritarian and removed as a leader, yet he can have real populist sensibilities at time.
I loved our glimpse into Tyrol and Callie's life. This is probably the first episode that really made a case for them having a real marriage. Nothing like imminent death to realign one's priorities. But what does Galactica do without a completely hands on deck chief?
I wish we had more insights like this one into the effects of the pounding Galactica took at New Caprica. That ship is battered, beaten, and bruised. Little screw ups like that have to happen all the time.
Overall, not an episode that I have all that much to say about. Except for the shuttle jump, there wasn't much to get my blood running. It was a well-focused, well-executed stand alone though. If you have room for filler, you can do a hell of a lot worse than this.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed it, but I was forced to wonder as Adama kept hearing his ex-wife talk to him, how is that different from Baltar hearing Six? I'm sure the similarity was intentional, as a way to make the audience curious. (I don't think Adama is a Cylon. His wife? Who knows?)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed this episode for all the reasons Adam mentioned above. I liked Tyrol's confession to Callie that he wanted her with him because he wanted it to be like old times when they always worked together.

The scenes between Adama and Laura were nice and understated. They obviously have an affection for each other that has to have limits because of their positions, which "head wife" commented on. I'm glad that the extra scene shown at the end in which Geata and Duella were commenting on Laura's visits to GALACTICA was cut as it was rather silly.

At least one bit of story arc was advanced in the discussion of Baltar's trial. Seems Lee is going to have his hands full. Also looks like Caprica Six is doing some talking since Laura mentioned that the Cylons wouldn't want Baltar back.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ron Moore has said that he's growing to like the extra scene at the end because it gives him a chance to play a really good beat that just didn't fit in with the bulk of the show.

Don S

Stunt Coordinator

I thought she said something like "based on the little bit of information we got from (Six) ....". So Six may not be talking all that much ..

Don S

Stunt Coordinator

yeah, but this beat didn't play very well :) It was a silly scene to start with. I bet there were many other worthwile scenes cut that might have been better choices. Just my opinion..

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
It looks like they're setting up next week's episode.

Did anyone else notice the mention that the deck crew is short-handed? If they are short on people and trying to repair the Galactica from the beating it took on New Caprica and trying to keep all the raptors and vipers in flying order, then they must be working crazy shifts to keep on top of everything. If that's the case, they could be stretched thin enough that mistakes such as were made in this episode could be a real danger, which might explain the chief's revolt in the next episode.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Good episode. Interesting that Lee is going to be running with Baltar's trial, after the previous episode Helo would have been a good choice.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It is not surprising to see that the Galactica's deck gang is experiencing what the Galactica's pilots where going through. But I do not remember the pilots revolting and going on strike. The pilots where flying on very little sleep and with no replacements in sight and they where where some that never returned from combat. Now Galacticas deck gang is unable to keep up with the overwhelming amount of maintenance that must be done on the Galactica and its fighters. With the pounding the Galactica has taken in battle, being hit by nukes and jumping into New Capricas atmosphere. It is not surprise that Galactica is in very bad shape and could use a dry dock for major repairs. But like the pilots, deck crew and others there is no relief on the horizon and no way to refit, upgrade or even rearm Galactica. We have not seen or heard form the cylons in a few episodes now. So if the cylons decide to come after Galactica the humans will be back to loosing equipment, man power and not to mention the additional stress on ships and planes that desperately need to be replaced or refitted in dry dock.

What are the cylons up to and will we see there home world this season? And what is the real reason the cylons want to find earth? It makes no sense that if human and cylon are to go there own way. They would have no reason to go to earth to find more humans. The only reason would be to kill off the 13th tribe. I hope the action picks up soon as the story has started to drag. Not that I have not enjoyed learning about the characters and who they really are. But the show is now lacking a sense of urgency and the continual threat that added excitement to the show. There has been no mention of if they are on track to find earth, or if they are having problems? The cylons are still out there looking for earth or have they given up for the time being? Are the cylons having internal problems of there own? We have seen one cylon model boxed this season and Boomer was viewed as an unstable model by one or two of the other cylon models. I would not be surprised if there is a very heated debate happening back on the cylon home world. On whether or not the cylons should be hunting down every human or do they abandon search for earth and truly go there separate ways? The more exposure they have with humans the more they seem to act like them. Or that just might be because they made an error when they created the human cyolns. They made them to much like humans and in the end they are becoming what they hated. That could introduce a very interesting twist to the story if they choose to go that route.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Bored now. I'm not a fan of the stand alone episodes and this was another one where the pacing was deathly slow. I'm really starting to miss the show that BSG was in its first season where it was tight, urgent and action packed. It used to be must see TV but it's really slipped from that mantle for me.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think that if they kept the 110% speed full tilt every single season it would become cliche. without quiet moments of introspective contemplation, the tight/action scenes will become meaninless.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I understand that but I just don't like the balance or some of the execution. The story seems to have really lost direction and focus. Whats happening with Baltar himself, or the Cylons or the search for Earth? The focus the story had before New Caprica hasn't been there since IMO. I did like the New Caprica stuff but whats come afterwards has been a bit of a mish mash.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)

Exactly... I think a 13 episode season is what this show needs. I don't think the writing is up to pumping out 20 episodes per season... just too much nonsense and filler that get away from the main story line of the show.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Whilst I don't mind standalone "filler" eps -- and indeed this one focusing on Adama for once was welcome backstory -- the problem is that the main storyline is marking time. IMHO what RM needs to do is to remember that the main story drives the arc, and therefore every ep, even standalone filler eps, should have some mention, in what ostensibly would be a "B" plot or even "C" plot, of material that is connected to the main story. And if not every ep, at least every other ep -- this is two eps in a row that are arguably standalone. Lee being tapped for the tribunal to try Baltar was something, but Baltar's trial is presumably only ancillary to the continuing search for Earth, and therefore doesn't really drive the main story.

Babylon 5 did this brilliantly. BSG eps seem to be too much one way (main arc) or the other (standalone).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i agree with many of the sentiments expressed by ya'll =D. i think the tighter season will make this more like HBO's series. i believe that is one of BBC/UK and HBO series success, because they are much shorter season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's anything arguable about it; I think that's absolutely what they were going for with them (and, I believe, this upcoming one as well) I think the problem arises in that they come off the really intense Baltar torture episode. When you get a line like "we'll give him his trial" the expectation is that that will begin the next episode. In other words, they haven't delivered what they promised. The episodes would have fit better before the Baltar trial plotline was introduced.
I'm conflicted. On one hand, I love the feel that the solitary focus on one character has provided the last two episodes. That'd be lost if they were reduced to just one viewpoint among several. On the other hand, I think we might be better served if the character development was integrated into the final arc of the season instead of occupying episodes on its own.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

But they did in this episode, with the President talking about the parameters and asking Adama to have his son involved with coming up with the parameters.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks