What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Any news on Blu-ray Release ? (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone for the help. I can pickup, when I see it, 2.0 w/confidence.
And, because of the cover of S2 (and on S3 & on S4), I can have confidence the commander is back!
Ha, ha; not funny.

How will the rest be released? 3.0, 4.0, or is that where it's going to get "fraked"*?
(*told you I became a Battlestarhead this month!)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
RUMOR has it that the series set will be coming out at the end of the year. Personally, I can't believe that Universal won't release them all individually to get as much money as possible since sci-fi fans traditionally buy everything over and over again- I'd love to be wrong though.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I almost picked up Battlestar Galactica on HD-DVD about 2 months ago because Fry's had it for $24.95 for season 1. But after deciding that the Bluray would most likely have DTS-HD MA on it and I am also hoping for better packaging as well. I am still thinking of picking up because HD-DVD titles are being blown out dirt cheap, who knows maybe I might pick up that set anyway? The only thing that makes me not want to is hearing about the problems that others have had with bad discs on this set. I am really looking foward to owning all seasons of Battlestar in HD soon.

Roger_R

Second Unit
The BBFC over in the UK has rated several BSG related extras lately, so something's being worked on. From what I've seen, they've rated "The Oracle" pop-up trivia graphics for several episodes of the first two seasons, an 8 minute "THE FINAL BONUS - WHAT THE FRAK IS GOING ON BATTLESTAR GALACTICA?" and an 80 second long Ronald D. Moore intro for season one.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

You know Travis, i am probably way off base here. But, something in the back of my mind, when i read that story, said its probably the COMPLETE 70s series on Blu.

Hell, id buy it too!

I just dont see a 20 disc (or whatever the disc count will be) complete Blu-ray set so soon after the completion of the series. But of course i could be wrong!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think they'd do a series set so quickly either (I was just hoping that S2 and S4 wouldn't be split into two sets each) but it has been a rumor for a couple months now so it seems like it's going to happen.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Whereas I think it's the best time--they do it now, they're more likely to convince fans to repurchase it on Blu-ray even if they already have the DVDs than if they wait a year for the fanbase to dissolve.

That said, if they do split it up by season, I think it'd be interesting to see how well the first two seasons sell versus the last two.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^Hollywoodaholic, I looked for (but couldn't find) the old thread where I swore up and down that they wouldn't release the BSG series set on BR and you said they would so I could bow to your superior knowledge. I'll just bow here and say that you told me so.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
And with the final BSG related product coming in June - the TV movie 'The Plan' - they can release everything in one big event, which will lead into the airing of the new series 'Caprica'.

My guess is that they'll also have some options of individual purchases.

In any case, I'll be buying it, even if I have to save up a bit for it.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
For the whole new series/TV movies set, if one were too figure $20US per disc, how much would that be?
Thanks.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, about 5 regular length episodes can fit comfortably on a BD50, but that's without extras. So let's go with 4 episodes per disc.

Doing the math with that in mind....

Mini-series - 1 disc
Season 1 - 3 discs
Season 2 - 5 discs
Season 3 - 5 discs
Razor - 1 disc
Season 4 - 5 discs
The Plan - 1 disc

That's 21 discs. At $20 a disc that's $420. My guess is that they'll average it out to $15/disc, which brings the price to $315.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Assuming 6 episodes per BD-50 (Chuck has as many as 7 on a BD-50, while it and Terminator also have 3 on a BD-25), that's 13.5 discs, round up to 14 because of the long episodes like "Pegasus" and "Lay Down Your Burdens II"... $280.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I don't think Universal will put more than 5 episodes on a BD50. Warner has done 6 and 7, but that's really cramped. And those shows had more sparse bonus content, while BSG has had a fair amount on the already released DVDs, including considerable webisodes, production featurettes, commentaries for all episodes, etc.

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Darryl

Yeah this is where I expect it to be - just under $300 US MSRP.

Unfortunately that will be likely be something insane like $450 Cdn. MSRP for those of us in the Great White North.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks