What's new

BATTLE: LOS ANGELES (Trailer) (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I am still there. I have been wanting to see this for a while now. Seeing it tomorrow!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That Ebert review is a panic. It's making me re-think my inclination to see the film...and wait for the Blu-ray. Dunno.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My son wants to see this film, and based on Ebert's and Rotten Tomatoes' review, I think this should be a Red Box Rental before purchase.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
All right, people, I saw the flick today, and that plot point up there that's covered in Spoiler Quotes is wrong. I will say it's a flick I could only watch once, not a keeper, which means no DVD purchase for me, but it was a helluva lot better than SKYLINE. The only major drawback for me was the shaky camera style. I've said this a thousand times on various boards, just plant the camera and tell the damn story. The MTV shake is passe. Just let it die. Other than that the action was good, and the CGI was excellent, but, as I said, could only watch it once. Teared up a few times, too. I hate when I do that.

Gonna see PAUL next week.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Ebert's panning of this film may be his funniest review ever.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110309/REVIEWS/110309992
One thing I have never understood is why people base whether or not they'll go out and see a film, buy a film or simply rent based one someone else's opinion. Especially one's liked unto guys like Ebert or any "so-called" professional review.

If the trailer looks good, in this case it looks kick-ass, I'm going, no matter what RT.com says or anyone other review.

After all, a review is nothing more then someones opinion, nothing more.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I really go buy Patrick Sun's review's since it seems I agree with almost every review of his regarding movies I have seen. Since I don't go out to the movies a lot I try and make them count, his reviews a lot of time are the deciding factors(if he gets them in on time!).

Now with this I would be seeing it anyway but the shaky cam turned me off.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by SWFF

All right, people, I saw the flick today, and that plot point up there that's covered in Spoiler Quotes is wrong. I will say it's a flick I could only watch once, not a keeper, which means no DVD purchase for me, but it was a helluva lot better than SKYLINE. The only major drawback for me was the shaky camera style. I've said this a thousand times on various boards, just plant the camera and tell the damn story. The MTV shake is passe. Just let it die. Other than that the action was good, and the CGI was excellent, but, as I said, could only watch it once. Teared up a few times, too. I hate when I do that.

Gonna see PAUL next week.

Shawn, are you talking about what I posted?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think, for the general movie-going audience, the film delivers on the spectacle of puny humans going up against the massive threat of alien colonization of good ol' earth. There are a lot of battle scenes, skirmishes, and close-quarter encounters at times, and the writers didn't really spend too much energy on the "why's", but just maintained a lot of focus on the action and clinging to the missions. Aaron Eckhardt is pretty good in the film as Staff Sargent Nantz, who's been in the marines way too long, and on the way out, just as the aliens show up to blow up population centers here on earth.

But there are problems, lots of shakey-cam footage in some sequences here and there, lots of cliched military-related fox-hole sequences, the dialogue is clunky at times, but effective in other spots as well, an inordinate amount of firepower is on display that was both impressive and improbable. It does feel like a mish-mash of other films of this genre, while embracing the style of videogame storytelling for most of the action scenes. At times, it's an insanely concussive barrage of stand-offs between the marines and the aliens, but it doesn't really linger too long on slower human moments, so the pacing was consistent, to the point of not quite monotony, but more like "how much more can these marines take?" or "how will they get out of this jam?"
Overall, if the trailer piqued your interest, it's worthy of a matinee to see it on the big screen.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought it was pretty good and thought it was much better than what the reviews are saying about it. It kept me interested throughout the film with several good action sequences. It was much better than Skyline or even Independence Day for that matter. I'll give it a B- as a film grade. By the way, the shaky cam doesn't bother me like it does with some of you.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ebert killed it in his review, half a star. Said the effects where terrible, the aliens are like stick figures or something. He mentioned one thing I noticed from the trailer and wondered myself. The one ship or whatever it is rises up from what looks like underground and essentially looks like a big junk yard coming out of the ground, I thought to myself, "have these creatures been living underground and are now just coming out like in Spielberg's War of the Worlds?" Ebert didn't say that but he did wonder how this ship got there, did it tunnel underground and just decide to pop up there, doesn't make sense, Ebert said.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TonyD

Ebert killed it in his review, half a star.
Said the effects where terrible, the aliens are like stick figures or something.
He mentioned one thing I noticed from the trailer and wondered myself.

The one ship or whatever it is rises up from what looks like underground
and essentially looks like a big junk yard coming out of the ground,
I thought to myself, "have these creatures been living underground and are now just coming out like in
Spielberg's War of the Worlds?"
Ebert didn't say that but he did wonder how this ship got there,
did it tunnel underground and just decide to pop up there, doesn't make sense, Ebert said.

Did you see the film?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No we rarely go to the movies, we wait for home video. I'm guessing Ebert missed something on that ship. Or the ship just appears from it's underground location. I'm just looking to see how his thoughts compare to those here who have seen it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Went with some friends...We all enjoyed it. Also, saw Skyline which was biggest pile of crap I have seen in years. Movie definitely feels more like a conventional war movie than a scifi movie.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by TonyD

Ebert killed it in his review, half a star.
Said the effects where terrible, the aliens are like stick figures or something.
He mentioned one thing I noticed from the trailer and wondered myself.

The one ship or whatever it is rises up from what looks like underground
and essentially looks like a big junk yard coming out of the ground,
I thought to myself, "have these creatures been living underground and are now just coming out like in
Spielberg's War of the Worlds?"
Ebert didn't say that but he did wonder how this ship got there,
did it tunnel underground and just decide to pop up there, doesn't make sense, Ebert said.

One of our local "radio reviewers" just ripped it too. At this point I think I am going to wait until it comes out on Blu-ray. Between babysitter, popcorn and the cost of the movie, the BD is waaaay cheaper.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by todd s

Went with some friends...We all enjoyed it. Also, saw Skyline which was biggest pile of crap I have seen in years. Movie definitely feels more like a conventional war movie than a scifi movie.

It is a war movie and I like the salute to Black Hawk Down at the end of the film.

Crawdaddy

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Yeah, who ever posted that on IMDB.com was all wrong on that point.

Originally Posted by Steve_Pannell
Shawn, are you talking about what I posted?

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from it and i enjoyed it alot.There are some scenes with shaky cam,but im not bothered by it n moderation.Ill b buying this and SKYLINE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks