Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in 2016!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sean Bryan, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    image.jpg http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=83754

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

So they're going to have a Batman that isn't Christian Bale, many people will still mad be that Superman killed a genocidal maniac & didn't bother to save anyone as they were being killed and- just to add one more thing that people can get angry about- they're using the most beloved Batman story in history as a way to inform their story. Call me crazy but I think this movie may have to fight an uphill battle with the internet.

mattCR and Stephen Brooks like this.
  3. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    Making movies is pretty much an uphill battle with the internet, unfortunately. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app

Sean Bryan likes this.
  4. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    I'm sure Batman will be mad about that too.
    So, there's that.

MattBradley likes this.
  5. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yep.

As I posted in the Man of Steel thread:
    A Batman / Superman team up movie now redefines definition of 'bad timing' for both characters given the state of their current respective movie incarnations.
    A Superman movie that ends with Metropolis flattened and no repercussions and a new Batman that replaces the Nolan one with no setup.

The impression that SDCC leaves me with is that Marvel has a multiyear plan and DC is scrambling to put stuff out.

SamT likes this.
  6. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Oh, so they're finally going ahead with that overbudget-aborted project Wolfgang Petersen was going to make fourteen years ago, back when Warner didn't have the faintest idea how to revive either the Superman OR Batman franchise, and were busy digging up old memos and new concepts?
    (That was around the same time they'd dug up Tim Burton's old memo for a Catwoman movie, just to show "See, see, we've got ideas for a new Batman movie, we haven't run out of ideas yet!")

Warner is legendary for never throwing a studio memo away. EVER.
    Fifteen years, twenty years, they have project memos lying around that are older than most of the employees, and still "Under consideration"...

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Meh.

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I'm against it.

Whatever Warner Brothers comes up with, I'm against it.

The execs at Warner Brothers have their political and social axe to grind, so they grind it on DC Comics.

Even the animated features they're doing via Hong Kong sweat-shops are miserable garbage in terms of storytelling.

Nothing will change at Warner Brothers. They've been screwing up one franchise after another for over 30 years.

Everytime they make a few dollars on opening weekend, they mistake it as a vindication, a justification of their bullshvt.

So now they're going to drag Superman and Batman through the mud and their respective guilt trips together.

It's so hard to be a superhero, so why bother.

The film is going to stink, and the kids will love it.

No thanks.

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Christopher Reeve will always be Superman for me, i also liked Michael Keaton and the two Tim Burton Batman films more than the grim ( but entertaining ) Nolan flicks, i loved the dark gothic nature of the Burton Batman films, a lot of thought went into the design of those sets and i'll take Michelle Pfieffers interpretation of Catwoman over Anne Hathaways any day of the week, sexy, seductive and dangerous, miaowwww.

A straightforward reboot of Batman is needed, bring back the gothic dark look of the Burton films, for Superman they need to go the other direction, lighter, more hope, more smiles and a hero we can cheer, a hero that does not kill but tries to save, i'm not in favour of a team up, i don't see the point.

10. Afiger

Afiger Agent

Daniel
    I'm sure this will tank. Weren't they planning a Justice League anyway? Not a Superman fan to begin, but was pretty disappointed in the movie. Replacing Batman isn't a great movie, but I can imagine Christen Bale's spidey sense kicked in and told him to stay away from this, if they even offered it to him. Another blah superhero movie.

11. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    No way this tanks, even if it sucks. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it beat Episode VII. Avengers: Age of Ultron will now be fighting for third place in 2015. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app

12. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Yeah, I don't think so. Avengers was a billion dollar global franchise. Superman isn't going to even come close to Iron Man 3 revenues, which look to win the year.

DC is taking two properties, one which was fairly polarizing this summer and another franchise which will have a new character in the lead and mixing them together. To me, it has a chance of being good.. it also has a chance of being Batman & Robin (1997).

Globally, I would expect Star Wars, which has a huge install base, to be a tough one to beat; but remember, Disney owns both those properties.. SW and Avengers.. and the pacing/placement on those will make sure neither screws wth the other, protecting their market value.

If it Sucks, the floor is possible. Meanwhile, Avengers is going to have a multi-year run up with a TV show, movies that continue to do great box office; I don't think Disney is worried about that at all.

13. Garry Cowell

Garry Cowell Stunt Coordinator

If they do this ala Star Trek Into Darkness with regards to Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns it could be interesting...

Personally I'd love Man of Steel 2 to be along the lines of Lex Luthor trying to kill Superman for his part in the mass destruction of Metropolis by recruiting a long retired/thought dead Batman to give him a beat down. Cue: 'Christian Bale' turns up in the final reel (sans any back-story) to deliver a beat down, only to find he's been tricked by Lex Luthor.

14. Freddie Z

Freddie Z Stunt Coordinator

Freddie Zaragoza
    I hated MOS. Complete lack of heart, soul, and humor. This team up of Superman and Batman is obviously a desperation act by Warner Bros. MOS under-achieved both critically and financially so they need Batman to come to the rescue.

It's funny how Marvel has all these characters in movies from the X-Men to Spider-Man to The Avengers to the Guardians of the Galaxy. But Warner seems to know of only two from DC.

15. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    This is what DC has tried:

(Domestic/WorldWide)

Catwoman - Bomb $40M/$80M
    Steel - Bomb $1.7M (No WW)
    Jonah Hex - Bomb $10.5M/$10.9M
    Green Lantern - not quite a bomb, but not a success, either. $116/$216
    Watchmen - not a complete bomb, but close.. despite how fans love it, box office was not good. $107M/$186M

Here's interesting.. Batman:

Batman (1988) $251M/$441M: Adjusted for Inflation: $513M
    Batman Returns (1992) $162M/$262M Adjusted: $320M
    Batman Mask of the Phantasm: (Animated): $5.7M/$6.2M
    Batman Forever (1995): $182/$336 Adjusted for Inflation: $345M
    Batman & Robin $107M/$238M Adjusted for Inflation: $190M
    Batman Begins: $206/$374
    The Dark Knight: $534/$1B
    The Dark Knight Rises: $448/$1B

There are some interesting things there... basically, DC sucks when it's not Batman (Superman #s not in here, gotta get to work) butalso the fact that until The Dark Knight, the original Batman (1988) was -easily- the most financially successful From a toy and licensing standpoint, it still remains far and away the most successfull of the bunch. I realize people are going to say: look at all the #s sold from Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises.. but let me ask you: how many Happy Meals were sold for Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises? Toys, costumes, etc.?

We older collectors still may grab, but nowhere near the volume of that era...

I will admit now: I prefer the 1988 Batman -significantly- over any of the Dark Knight Series. It doesn't mean I think they were bad, I just prefer that film, which played up the comic elements more and was more fun for me, period.

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't know how they spent $150 million (or whatever it was) on Watchmen and expected it to turn a profit. It's Watchmen- outside of a comic book store, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who had ever heard of it before the movie. And then to complicate matters, Snyder stuck fairly close to the source material which is only going to further alienate the audience. I'm glad they spent the money they did and I'm glad that Snyder made it the way that he did but Warners was crazy if they thought that movie was going to turn a profit with a budget that large.

17. Cory S.

Cory S. Supporting Actor

While the team up will happen in the film, this is actually the sequel to Man of Steel. It just happens to feature Batman, like the Dark Knight featured the Joker. Goyer's been working on the script since February and they're already in pre-production. And Goyer was on record during Comic-Con saying that this sequel will address the aftermath of Metropolis (which was mostly not done by Superman but that's another conversation) and the issue with Zod and how that affects Kal will be addressed in this film as well. It just happens to feature Batman.

I think this is a smart move...if the rumor of Flash in 2016 and Justice League in 2017 is true. There's no need for another Batman origin but Batman and Lex are the perfect characters to question this being that's just revealed himself to the world.

I just don't see the negative in this project. Not even in the slightest. This is the last geek cultural milestone left. Age of Ultron is going to make bank but when the two greatest icons of the medium hit the screen for the first time, the sky's the limit.

This thing is going to be huge.

MattBradley likes this.
  18. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Yeah, a huge mistake. It's much too early to throw Superman and Batman into a film together IMO, *particularly* in the sequel to Man of Steel. We need to spend more time with THIS Superman before getting distracted by Bruce Wayne showing up in his universe. It's premature, and after seeing Snyder's movie I have very little optimism that pairing them up under his direction will be handled well anyway.

Meh.

SamT likes this.
  19. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Personally I don't want to spend another minute with this Superman. I'm not referring to the actor who plays him, I'm referring to the mindset that made Man of Steel. It's not a place I want to go. Zack Snyder and David Goyer are nothing but bad news for Superman.

20. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Bingo. Like reading my mind.