What's new

Batman TV series DVD??? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hello - I am wondering about the status of the Batman / Adam West TV series coming to DVD. I believe I read that Fox was working on the series for release. Does anyone know the status and when possibly the series will be released??

Thanks for posting!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tim,

I can only give you the information that
we last heard from the studio....

Fox has been wanting to get this series out
on DVD. No doubt, it is one of their highest
requested TV releases.

Last heard, there were licensing problems that
was preventing the studio from getting these out.

We'll be out at Fox next month. I'll ask them
if they would provide us with an update. Will
report back.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
They are repeating this series here in NZ at the moment - I haven't seen it since I was a kid and remembered it as being rather silly. But when you view it as a comedy (which it really was), it's quite fun.

I'd probably be interested.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I would think that most people even remotely interested in the advent of the television show on DVD would have trouble seeing this on the shelf and not purchasing it.

A no-brainer, really.

John KB

Second Unit
I don't understand why there would be licensing problems. Fox does own the show, correct?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They aired the entire series a couple times on TV Land at 4am for a year or so, and I remembered how much I loved the show for its (intentional) humor. Even if it had no special features at all, I would buy a complete box set the day it came out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This reply is totally a guess....

I think I read that while Fox owns the show,
that Warner Brothers has rights on the character.

I'm sure someone else will shed more accurate
information on this.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's anything else to say, Ron. That's 100% correct, as far as I know. Warner owns "Batman" and all related characters, and Fox owns the footage.

I'm sure something in the way of a license agreement will be worked out just as soon as a new Batman movie finds its way into theaters...whenever that is. :wink:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

I'm glad the information I heard concurs
with what you heard.

The only "oddity" in this is that Fox was
able to release the original 60s "BATMAN"
movie without any difficulties.

Perhaps the licensing situation is different
when it comes to television product.

I hope to hear more about this next month

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i think, given the hold up with a film like All That Jazz to coincide with the dvd release of another studios musical hit, its more likely a big project like a series box set is being held back to tie in with the eventual release of a green lit theatrical film.
there may be legal issues, but if the film were ready to be released next summer, i'm sure these 'issues' would be being pursued more aggressively now.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The only "oddity" in this is that Fox was
able to release the original 60s "BATMAN"
movie without any difficulties.

Perhaps the licensing situation is different
when it comes to television product.
That is EXACTLY what I was told...that the film rights were a different issue.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I can't wait for whatever way they choose to finally release this series on dvd (preferably box sets) and would gladly purchase all of it.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
As much as I enjoy the old series, I can't honestly say that I would watch them more than once. I don't know that it would warrant a purchase for me, but by all means, put them on DVD.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Ron, another vote for getting more info and generally pressing as firmly and delicately as one be able. I can't stand my kids growing older without this!!! (not to mention a wee bit of self interest!). Do it for the kids!

Dan

Claude North

Second Unit
If Fox can eventually resolve the issues preventing a DVD release of the BATMAN series, then I hope they include such extras as:

*The original presentation film made for the network executives. A brief clip was used on A&E's BIOGRAPHY of Adam West. In it, West wears a Batman costume with the original Batlogo (i.e. without the yellow oval).

*The presentation film introducing Batgirl, in which the "Terrific Trio" faces off against Killer Moth.

*Various network and syndication promos.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
To touch upon that more, Claude, the Batman series and Bewitched were the two shows that virtually kept ABC afloat back in the mid- to late- sixties and very early seventies. So, in a time when networks all had Fall Preview Specials advertising their upcoming broadcasting schedules, ABC used its bona fide hit (Batman) to sucker viewers in...

I believe it was in 1966 that ABC used Batman and Robin as the frame story (in other words, they were the 'hosts') for its Fall Preview Special. The premise was that one of the shows from ABC's fall schedule had been stolen and it was up to Batman and Robin to find out where it was and who took it. Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, in retrospect, it doesn't seem too far removed from the premise of a regular Batman episode.

I doubt we'd ever get to see the entire special (namely because it contains clips of shows that are owned by all sorts of studios and would require a lot of licensing), but it would be nice to see at least the Batman and Robin segments.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I would pick up these sets in a heart beat. I wasn't around for the original airing, but I remember when they put them back on TV in '89 when the new Batman film came out in theaters. My brother and I (I was 9 at the time) thought it was the greates thing ever.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The film vs television thing makes sense. Wasn't the movie released on VHS? So there was a framework for licensing in place (even if it didn't cover future formats). But AFAIK the series wasn't released on VHS, so there's not even a starting point there. So presumably both sides are waiting for the other to make the first offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks