What's new

Batman The Complete TV Series Limited Edition (11/11)(Blu-ray)(DVD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Alf S said:
I'm always amused at the things people will b**ch about when it comes to stuff like this.

People get mad for years that the show never made it to DVD etc...then when a studio and all the lawyers etc. settle things, and finally release ALL episodes in a nice tidy set with some fun/nice extras after all these years, the same folks start whining and whining about what kind of M O N O sound it "should" have had and how dare a studio not do it the "right" way or the way these people want/expect.

Come on folks, get over it. Would you rather just gleam the same episodes the old fashion way, via the "MeTV (non-HD) channel in random episode fashion and save to a DVR (assuming you can) and just enjoy it as is, or do you want the re-worked, cleaned up "HD" FULL set with fun extras to sit in your "home theaters" to enjoy in all its Batty goodness?? I'm betting you all want the later...so can we quite whining about the "what ifs" or "they should have...!!" talk and just enjoy the fact that this awesome piece of nostalgia is FINALLY available at any local DVD/Blu Ray store for a fair enough price.

I know I've got this on my Santa list and couldn't care less what the heck kind of Mono sound it has! :)
That's the spirit! And also, that's what everybody else will be saying, too.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Sky Captain said:
Nobody needs to see that stuff (the 'In Color' bumpers' or the ABC bumpers) on the DVD. The end credit logos and the "Next Week's Villain" bumper are okay. Heck, you don't even see those on DVD's of recent shows.
Please speak only for yourself. The "in color" bumper at the beginning of the episodes has always been a part of the episodes as far as I'm concerned (going back to my first viewings of the show in syndication). It is entirely proper to retain them for a show of this vintage. I know I was glad to see them on the DVDs of The Invaders and The Fugitive.

I do agree that having the "ABC Color presentation" front and endboards on every single episode would be overkill. Although I do think it would be nice to see maybe once per disc (frontcap at the beginning of the first episode and the endboard and the end of the last one on the disc would be more than enough), I'd be very astonished if those were retained. I will be somewhat disappointed if the "in color" and vintage 20th Century Fox logos are dropped, though. I don't mind if WB stick their logo(s) on at the very end (or at the very beginning, before the "in color"), and I think most people here would be okay with that, too.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Meh, its a 60s show made in mono using Westrex. Going lossless doesn't add much when the sound quality is already pretty damn lossy.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
AndyMcKinney said:
Please speak only for yourself. The "in color" bumper at the beginning of the episodes has always been a part of the episodes as far as I'm concerned (going back to my first viewings of the show in syndication). It is entirely proper to retain them for a show of this vintage. I know I was glad to see them on the DVDs of The Invaders and The Fugitive.

I do agree that having the "ABC Color presentation" front and endboards on every single episode would be overkill. Although I do think it would be nice to see maybe once per disc (frontcap at the beginning of the first episode and the endboard and the end of the last one on the disc would be more than enough), I'd be very astonished if those were retained. I will be somewhat disappointed if the "in color" and vintage 20th Century Fox logos are dropped, though. I don't mind if WB stick their logo(s) on at the very end (or at the very beginning, before the "in color"), and I think most people here would be okay with that, too.

I said I didn't mind if the 20th Century Fox logos were kept; I just don't care for the 'In Color' ident, as everybody knows that the show's in color.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
AndyMcKinney said:

I am in total agreement with Andy on this one. I want to see the "Batman - In Color" bumper at the start of each episode. I wouldn't mind, though, if under settings on the discs they gave us an option on whether to watch the "In Color" bumper or not. I think that would be perfectly acceptable. Maybe they could include the ABC In Color bumper that way as well. We'll find out in 49 days.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I certainly hope they DO retain the "Batman - In color" card, as it's an integral part of the show. As is the tag at the conclusion announcing next week's villain/villainess. I can't imagine them going to the trouble to offer a watch with/without option. It would take longer to select the option than it would to "suffer" through the announcement.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sky Captain said:
Nobody needs to see that stuff (the 'In Color' bumpers' or the ABC bumpers) on the DVD. The end credit logos and the "Next Week's Villain" bumper are okay. Heck, you don't even see those on DVD's of recent shows.
Different time periods. It was mentioned a long time ago the problem was rights and/or proper elements. Look at the Star Trek shows. TOS, TAS and TNG all have trailers. Enterprise, the most recent show, doesn't because good enough elements weren't found. So not all shows are in that same boat.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I have seen the "ABC color logo" at the beginning of certain shows which did not have show-specific "in color" intros. For instance I know of a few Saturday morning cartoons of the era like "The Bullwinkle Show," "Linus The Lion-Hearted" and "The New Casper Cartoon Show" where circulating episodes have it at the beginning (even though the available copies are B&W). Originally it would have been accompanied with an announcer's voice stating that this is an ABC color presentation -- like the peacock on NBC. But if "Batman In Color" is at the start of an episode, the "ABC color logo" would not be there in addition to it -- except on bootlegs."Batman In Color" better be there! My guess is it will be there along with the next week villain teasers. Not so confident of the era-correct Fox logos, but that would be nice!

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I noticed in the dvd set for the 4th season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, there were 2 or 3 episodes that started with the ABC In Color logo. I can't imagine them adding it to just a couple. Would this have been on the original print ?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
FrancisP said:
I noticed in the dvd set for the 4th season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, there were 2 or 3 episodes that started with the ABC In Color logo. I can't imagine them adding it to just a couple. Would this have been on the original print ?
Maybe they sourced those two or three episodes from ABC-originated prints, rather than from the original negatives? That's the only explanation I can think of (as ABC might've spliced that into their own print).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While reading another Topic Thread (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/326070-mill-creek-to-re-release-sony-tv-shows-on-dvd/page-8), I stumbled onto a possible scenario that may or may not affect the upcoming BATMAN Releases:

For those of us who would rather purchase the three Seasons individually, rather than unload a huge chunk of change for the complete BATMAN Series, we have to consider the possibility that while the first Season is scheduled to be released to DVD, there's nothing saying (At least to my knowledge!) that ALL 3 Seasons will be issued that way! For some TV Series, only some seasons are individually released before a Complete Series set is issued. In this case, with the entire Series being issued to DVD/BluRay, weak sales of the individual Season One could cause the others to not be released that way.

The above is just some speculative observation on my part!

CHEERS!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Tony Bensley said:
While reading another Topic Thread (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/326070-mill-creek-to-re-release-sony-tv-shows-on-dvd/page-8), I stumbled onto a possible scenario that may or may not affect the upcoming BATMAN Releases:

For those of us who would rather purchase the three Seasons individually, rather than unload a huge chunk of change for the complete BATMAN Series, we have to consider the possibility that while the first Season is scheduled to be released to DVD, there's nothing saying (At least to my knowledge!) that ALL 3 Seasons will be issued that way! For some TV Series, only some seasons are individually released before a Complete Series set is issued. In this case, with the entire Series being issued to DVD/BluRay, weak sales of the individual Season One could cause the others to not be released that way.

The above is just some speculative observation on my part!

CHEERS!
Unlikely, as the DVDs are done. The only cost left to them is packaging, which in the grand scheme of things, is the cheapest part. Thus, it would cost them very little to issue the season sets while allowing them to continue getting coin for their product.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Gary Seven said:
Unlikely, as the DVDs are done. The only cost left to them is packaging, which in the grand scheme of things, is the cheapest part. Thus, it would cost them very little to issue the season sets while allowing them to continue getting coin for their product.
Hi Gary!

You mean as in reference to the Complete BATMAN DVD Set. Excellent point, Gary!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Also, if the first season individual set does not sell well (I doubt that will happen), then Warner Brothers would probably the other season sets through Warner Archive. I don't want to create hoopla over that statement but it would still mean that people can get the individual sets, it would just be through the Archive affiliation.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Most of those are cases where the complete series came out AFTER the individual seasons had already stalled, and usually from another company. And they are usually longer running series than just 3 seasons. Most of the ones that started with a complete set (Get Smart, Six Million Dollar Man, etc.) put out each season. The work is already done. I find it very hard to believe that with the work already done and the discs already pressed and only 3 seasons total that they won't all be released.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it seems very likely that the individual seasons will come out but I guess there's an off chance that the availability of a series set will completely kill the sales on the first season and they won't bother to release the other two sets individually. I'm not saying that will happen but I guess the possibility exists.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm canceling my pre-order of the blu-ray set. I'm just going with the complete dvd set instead.98% of my tv shows are on dvd anyway.The more I look at the blu packaging the more I dislike it. Hideously cheap looking, and knick knacks that I would not give a second glance at a flea market.I've never been so torn about the decision I had to make buying a dvd title, and my indecision is unnecessary. This should have been a no-brainier. Perfect quality vide/audio, packaging.The Blu-Ray packaging is a cardboard nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks