What's new

Batman or Lost in Space in the future? (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Anyone know anything about the possibility that we'll see season-by-season sets of either Batman or Lost in Space? These shows are classics, and well-loved in spite of their campiness. Perfect candidates for season-by-season sets like which we've been seeing so much of lately.
On second thought, both shows ran for only three seasons, maybe it would be more worth-it for them to be released as an entire series!
As far as I know, not a single episode of either series is available on DVD. That baffles me.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I wouldn't mind seein LIS at all...I always kinda liked it from what I saw every now and then. Would buy it at the right price.:emoji_thumbsup:

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm no expert on the subject, so please don't take my word as gospel, but as I understand it, there are some serious legal hurdles to overcome with regards to "Batman."

As I understand it, Warner owns the rights to the Batman character, while Fox owns the "Batman" TV series itself. In this unfortunate situation, the series can't be released unless the two studios strike some sort of a deal, and neither wants to shell out enough cash.

From what I've heard, we should consider ourselves quite lucky that we got "Batman: The Movie" on DVD. It was quite a risk on Fox's part.

I guess I'll just keep tuning in to TV Land every night.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Carl is quite correct.

BATMAN has been under legal woes for quite
some time, and I can tell you that Fox has
been extremely interested in releasing the
TV series to DVD.

As for LOST IN SPACE....

I have been pushing for the release of this
TV series to DVD. Unfortunately, Fox no longer
owns the rights to it. I have been trying to
find out who does. My best guess is perhaps
we will see it released under the Columbia House
label.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have been pushing for the release of this
TV series to DVD. Unfortunately, Fox no longer
owns the rights to it. I have been trying to
find out who does. My best guess is perhaps
we will see it released under the Columbia House
label.
I suspect that this is either Columbia/TriStar or perhaps at Paramount (due to the CBS/Viacom deal which brought them Lucy). You might ask Martin to look into it, Ron.

I'd give dearly for either one. Both are ranked in the top 10% (probably closer to top 5%) over at TVShowsOnDVD...but that's no surprise to anybody. Both are incredibly popular and enduring shows, despite (or maybe because of) the sillyness factor.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I thought I had read somewhere, that Bill "Will Robinson" Mummey had purchased all rights to LIS back in the 80's. Does anyone else remember hearing about this or am I the only one?

Spence

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
Could we get a "Many faces of Ronald Epstein" section. every time you change the pic your sig I'm thinking, "No way, too different" I'm beginning to think you're like the "Dread Pirate Roberts"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe,
Thanks for the...err...kudos on my picture.
I have just been sent some private information
that Lost In Space may actually be back
in the hands of Fox via SYNTHESIS ENTERTAINMENT.
There is even *rumour* that the series will
*possibly* be released to DVD in 2003 to coincide
with the LOST IN SPACE and TIME TUNNEL tv movies/miniseries.
All of this is just rumor and I had very little
time to investigate the information. If I hear
anything further, I will let you know.

Brenton

Screenwriter
There is even *rumour* that the series will
*possibly* be released to DVD in 2003 to coincide
with the LOST IN SPACE and TIME TUNNEL tv movies/miniseries.
*crosses fingers loudly*
Wait...:crazy: a Lost in Space TV movie or miniseries?? RAD! That's the first I've heard of it! Is it confirmed? Will it be the New Line film version, or the good ol' TV series?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brenton,
I am not sure at this point.
I have heard about a new Lost In Space
project for quite some time now. Perhaps
something is finally getting off the ground.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sorry Ron, I liked the other picture better. :)
You reminded me of someone I know, but I can't recall who.

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
According to this site, Fox definitely has plans to release Lost in Space on DVD and are currently targeting April 2003 for a release date (one month before NBC plans to air the made-for-TV movie). However, they're still debating how much money to invest in the project for digital remastering, extras, etc. There's also a chance that Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants will eventually see a DVD release.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll send that link to Gord. Maybe he'll use it as a news item at TVShowsOnDVD, to help promote the cause that Kevin Burns has going.

I also want this release to be top-notch, so I'll participate any way I can. Thanks for providing the link!!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'll happilly commit my $$ per season to ease whatever costs Fox goes through to clear the Batman series for release on DVD.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If they price these at the "Buffy" level I'd be tempted to pick them up for nostalgia's sake.

IIRC, LiS ran 3 seasons (1 B&W, 2 color), LotG ran 2 seasons, and TTT only had a single season. Does anyone know how many seasons VttBotS and "Batman" lasted??

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
"Batman" would be great. It would probably be four box sets: One set for the first season (which is 30 shows even though it was a mid-season debut because it ran twice a week); two sets for the second season (60 shows) and one for the final season (30 shows, since it was down to once a week then)

In any case I'd love these. No cropping for fake widescreen though! Must be in the OAR!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks