What's new

Batman Begins Part III (1 Viewer)

James T

Screenwriter
SM3 was a disaster because the execs got involved. They wanted their ideas as part of the movie (ie. Venom).

If Nolan has the same freedom as he did with Begins and TDK, I have faith with part 3.

Oh, and for those that have read the comic arc, Dark Victory, doesn't TDK look like it's heading towards a similar story arc?

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator

uhhhh, not in my opinion. Burton's version is almost 20yrs, no one would have dreamed anyone could top Nicholson's Joker and in my opinion it still hasn't been topped. Make no mistake about it the franchise will flame out again either through greed of just making another one too many, poor direction, weak story, or cast defection. What they will do is allow some time to past then relaunch it who's to say they won't cast another actor with the chops to pull off another version of the joker? No one saw Ledger's adaptation coming!

Although I was very impressed with Ledger's performance I believe he borrowed some subtle nuances from Jack's performance. Too many of you are gassed on the newness of TDK. Go watch Batman again and look at Nicholson's performance. Just to remind you check out this youtube montage of the two Jokers.
Don't stop here revisited the 1989 version....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Batman (1989) was on ABC Family on Saturday night, and after about 20 minutes, I just had to turn it off, it was just too hokey after seeing TDK twice in a few days. Batman (1989) was good in a theatrical play sense of the word, but TDK is much better cinema.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are in the minority on this one. ;) That film hasn't aged that well. Jack's Joker is a product of the 80's and is very jokey and over the top (dancing to PRINCE!?!?) compared to Ledger's timeless portrayal. Batman '89 is a very silly movie, not a cinematic crime drama like Nolans films. The Burton movies will be forgotten over time.

Brian D H

Second Unit
Just saw Dark Knight - wow. I am 40 years old and not one for unecessary praise; this was honestly the best film I've seen in decades. Considering that I went in to it with high expectations and I STILL think that is amazing.

Anyway to answer the original question:

1) He's been established as LITERALLY "The Dark Knight" so how about calling the next one "Caped Crusader". Isn't that what a knight does? I know this has been mentioned - consider this another vote.

2) Villian? Usually I hate having too many villians, but I think that this may be a good time to do this (and I trust Nolan to pull it off). Given that the mob's hold is weakened, and Batman is now hunted. This should be the time for the "freaks" to take over.
So, lets bring in a bunch. How about one of Bruce's bit's of arm-candy turns out to be more that he bargained for (Selena, targeting Bruce and his associates. - but please keep her primarily a thief who is simply taking advantage of the current state of chaos to line her own pockets). Catwoman is NOT his main concern however, because at the same time the Riddler, Penguin, etc, etc, are popping up all over. Basically make the rest of the rogues gallery copy-cat freaks of the Joker to parallel Batman's own copy-cats. Eventually the people of Gotham would start to need Batman whether they trust him or not.

3) Re-cast the Joker? Unfortunately I have to say yes, it's necessary. I just hope that get an actor who is: A) As talented as Heath. B) Has a small enough ego to be willing to honor the brilliant character that Heath created without trying to put his own spin on it. Please do NOT try to reinterpret the character.

But, as long as Nolan is back you can ignore all of my ideas. Nolan "gets" it. He understands the character, and his universe. He has mixed in the Batman from the best of the comic books along with the animated series and made it realistic and adult. Just give Nolan creative control (again), and I'll gladly go along for the ride.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they can top TDK. If the story is there they can make another great movie. They could use Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy! Oh wait, that idea sucks. Good thing no one ever made THAT movie.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

Not really. Dent's dead, the Joker is captured, and no other freaks present. Nolan borrowed a lot of elements from TLH and DV, but he's telling his own story.

What seems to lend itself to the Nolanverse is the opening of Gotham to the freaks; with the mob being seriously wounded, Batman present, and the cops fighting corruption, other criminal oddities might gravitate towards Gotham.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
I don’t have an issue with you calling the 89 Batman hokey, don’t even mind you calling it silly, although I disagree. All those descriptions may be true, I personally don’t mind a little hokey or a little silliness and that’s some of my grip with the TDK, the tone was too serious. When this franchise flames out and it will, when they re-launch it will the envelope get pushed to R status or NC-17? What will you say about Nolan’s version then? Will you call it hokey or silly; will you say it will be forgotten? If this version came out in 1989 it would have been either an R or NC-17 and the studio heads would have demanded Burton cut the film. Consider the times, Burton left the franchise precisely because the studio wanted to lighten up the tone.

The same film you call hokey and silly, he refused toning it down and left then Keaton bolted. Then we go the Shu-bacle versions because according to the studio Burton’s vision was too dark, too many blacks (not people), too many nights scenes, too grim. Which exactly what TDK is! Please don’t misunderstand my thoughts, I liked TDK quite a bit but it’s the exact opposite of the Shu-bacle versions, where’s Burton’s have more balance. “I’d like to show her my French flipper trick” or “but still my nose could be gushing blood”. You see the treble and the bass work in concert, not too much base and too little treble.

Furthermore keep in mind Nolan borrowed some scenes from the hokey/silly version, Burton didn’t borrow from Nolan. One I know for sure the others I’ll have to look for by watching the 89 Batman again. That was my issue with the Superman redux, except Singer damn near lifted the entire movie, lines included. I contend the 89 Batman is the template for every comic book movie made today, not the original Superman, a movie I loved. The script was good, the tone was serious enough, and it had good humor not slapstick. You were in awe when you saw Bats, the joker and the Bat mobile, and it broke a lot records back then and I saw a lot kids wearing Batman t-shirts. I really think folks are either underestimating the impact of the 89 Batman or they are caught up in the newness of TDK. Who doesn’t know Elfman’s score to Batman; does the current series have one? Who can forget these lines, does Ledger performance have any?

1. Winged freak? Terrorizes? Wait till they get a load of me.
2. Can you tell me what kind of a world we live in when a man dressed up as a bat gets all of my press?
3. Jesus Marumba. A lovely beast like that running around could put steam in a man's strides.
4. Never rub another man's rhubarb.
5. This town needs an enema!

Scene 1 borrow:
Joker (Ledger} standing in the middle of the street defiantly challenging Bats on the Batcycle
Joker(Jaaack) standing in the middle of the street defiantly challenging Bats in the Bat Plane.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think it will be Riddler and Catwoman.

I think Nolan can make Riddler interesting. Dont expect Riddles that will stop him fro robbing a jewelry store. Again I expect a large plot that will show the people of Gotham how Batman is needed.

Catwoman because shes the exact opposite of Rachel.

And I like the idea of Ben Foster. I was completely against recasting Joker until I saw that recommendation. I think he could do well if Joker was ever needed for a cameo or the like.

"Who can forget these lines, does Ledger performance have any?"

I liked Ledgers final dialogue with Batman in TDK more than anything in the 89s version. The Joker was different in the two versions. Hamm/Burton werent interested in a morality play, so we got some wittier one liners. Nolan is, and I liked his dialogue better. IMHO it drives home the point of the character. I though the end came together nicely. The look of disappointment on Jokers face when the fireworks didnt go off. His plan had failed - so blow up the boats anyway and carry on. It was perfect.

" ...and I wont kill you because youre just too much fun. I think we're destined to do this forever"

Love it.

"Batman (1989) was on ABC Family on Saturday night, and after about 20 minutes, I just had to turn it off, it was just too hokey after seeing TDK twice in a few days. "

About 6 years ago I actually bought the DVD cheap one day out of desperation for something to watch. After 30 minutes I fast fowarded to the end.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
After reading all of these posts. I have to go back to my original thought in this thread. And by the huge box office of TDK. I think the only way to top TDK is to do a World's Finest movie with Superman. Just reading what was said here and other places. How can you top the story and performances? Joker is Bats top villain. And anyone else is a stepdown. I believe if they keep Bale and give Nolan control...Actually, if he doesn't want to direct. Let him produce and help write the movie. World's Finest could be bigger than TDK. Again, the story has to be great. But, a live action movie starring Superman & Batman has never been done and people have been waiting years for it too happen. Just my 2 cents.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind seeing Angelina Jolie in the Catsuit. (we already got a hint of it in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith").

You could squeeze in Harley Quinn by having Bruce actually see a shrink for his nightmares that he'll be having in the next installment. Unfortunately for Bruce, this particular shrink has a mad-on for the Joker.

Incorporating bits from Hush (to create Batman's evil doppleganger) is another thing to bring to the next film.

I would like to see more detective work done by Batman, especially since his access to crime scenes will be of a time-sensitive nature since he won't have the overt backing of Gordon to be allowed to check out crime scenes.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't say that. If done right and Nolan's proven he can do it right. Catwoman would be an interesting foe for Bats. Especially, now that he has lost Rachel.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Why does everyone believe Dent is dead? I think they set him up perfectly for the third. I think they covered it up, told the public he was dead, and everyone hates Batman. I think Dent comes back in the 3rd, exposes the commisioner for lying to the public (and now public doesn't trust police or batman), becomes super villian, and it's up to Batman to save the day. Bringing back the public's trust of their dark knight. Throw in a side villian to add a little something.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

Because we saw him die?

He wasn't breathing. Batman moved his face to show the "good side," intending Dent's legacy to be one of hope.

Nolan's already shown us he doesn't indulge in the usual soap opera/comic book tropes of "we haven't seen the body!" Ra's died. Dent died.

I could be wrong...but I think it would be a cheap ploy, and lessen the impact of TDK and the world Nolan has built.

I'd rather that Dent remained dead and TDK is the last of the Nolan Batman films than he (Nolan) start resorting to some bad retconning and overworn plot tricks.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
This guy looks like Heath, can he act?

His name is Joseph Gordon Levitt, he's going to be in G.I Joe and Akira...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I wouldn't be surprised if he could pull it off, but I've only seen him in roles that don't seem to be as challenging as the Joker (3rd Rock from the Sun, Angels in the Outfield). There's plenty of his work that I haven't seen yet. These films from his resume seem to help his cause: Mysterious Skin, Brick, and Manic.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0330687/

I don't know if I want the Joker back, though.

James T

Screenwriter
It's just the way it was shown. I don't believe him to be dead either. The memorial service afterwards could still be for Harvey Dent as Harvey Dent is dead and only Two-Face is alive.

I've said it in a few other threads and different forums....Dent could be locked in Arkham where only a select few know of him, Gordon, Batman and Dr. Harley Quinn. Throw in some back story involving Joker (probably best off-screen) and you have a setup for number three.

It wouldn't lessen anything that's been done in TDK. There's still the loose end with Ramirez. If she opens her mouth, then the coverup will be for nothing. By keeping her alive, they left the possibility of Dent surviivng the fall.

As a side note, what's the deal with Batman villians falling from a really high distance to their death?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im with those saying Harvey wouldnt have lasted long with those wounds.

He was racing against a clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks