What's new

BATMAN: 20 Years ago today (1 Viewer)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

That trailer is so slapped together. Hard edits and there is no music in it. I remember seeing that exact trailer months before the premiere, and even then thinking how clunky it seemed.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

If I recall the story goes that "trailer" was more of a show reel to convince the comic book fans that they weren't turning Batman into a campy 60s type of comedy despite casting Michael "Mr. Mom" Keaton. I think it was more for the comic book conventions.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
^^ I was just watching some of the documentaries on the film, and that's exactly the reason for its existence.

You see a few clips of it as part of the doc, but some of it was reused in the actual trailer that's on the disc.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the trailer on the dvd is slightly different. The one Nicholas linked to is the one that got everyone so jazzed. And I still think it's a great trailer. The lack of music, and the hard cuts, are two positives to me. Compared to every other trailer that was carefully massaged and scored and focus tested, etc- the crude nature of this one gives it a vigorous, almost punk-like vitality.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I have a lot of fond memories of Batman. I was definitely the target audience for it (11 years old) and I remember being allowed to go and see it with my cousin. We both came out of it thinking it was the greatest movie ever, and since then we have always tried to see the Batman movies together. (didnt manage it with The Dark Knight Im sad to say)

Things I vividly remember as an 11 year old

1. "What are you ? " "I'm Batman!!!" Still brings a smile to my face.
2. I wanted that car!!! (I hated it when they revised it for Batman Forever)
3. I wanted that plane!!!!
4. I loved the silhouette of the plane on the moon
5. Gordon's response when he sees Batman for the first time -"Oh...my...God"
6. That car!!!!! Loved it when it was going through the factory blowing shit up!!
7. More Batman and less Joker please!!!!
8. The final shot of him standing with the Bat signal
9. Love the Batman theme and was again pissed when they changed it for Batman Forever. Schumacher pretty much ruined the films for me, but I didnt realise it properly until the disaster that was Batman and Robin.

Some nice memories and whilst Star Wars, Superman and Indiano Jones were my childhoold films, I only had an interest in films as a kid as much as doing anything else. Batman is the one I remember firing my huge interest in films during my teenage years and then onwards. Although I now prefer the Nolan films, I will always enjoy the first 2 Burton ones.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

That film still has the coolest looking Batmobile and the best Joker. Such a great comic book film.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

I agree. When I was a child I loved the 60's Batmobile, but the 1989 Batmobile was just... incredible. Heath Ledger was just about the best thing in Chris Nolan's never-ending blockbuster but he did come across as more 'Son of Joker' than 'Joker'.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I vividly remember that Diet Coke commercial. It used to play all the time.

One of the things I found ludicrous about the film was how the Joker was able to shoot the Bat Plane out of the sky with a handgun. It took me out of the picture the first time I saw it and it still does.

I do prefer Ledger's Joker to Nicholson's being Nicholson take on it.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

I'm pretty sure it was the really long barrel that did the trick. ;)

I was 9 when I first saw Batman, the first PG-13 film I watched all by myself. I don't remember the date, but it must have been some time after the big release because I was the only one in the (first-run) theater. The ushers kept peeking inside to make sure someone was in there - I had a hoot knowing they were projecting the movie just for me.

I enjoyed the film quite a bit, and continued to for many years afterward. I much prefer Nolan's vision now, though.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
The '89 Batman had a huge impact on comic films, and was an amazing event movie. Sweep away the nostalgia, though, and it's a deeply flawed movie that does not age well, for the reasons noted above.

And I must agree with the opinion that Ledger's Joker was far superior to Nicholson's. Scarier, no camp, and a very worthy opponent of Batman. Nicholson was playing Nicholson, and the shooting script simply wasn't very strong.

I acknowledge what the '89 film did for the genre, but its clunkiness and flatness - as well as Burton's obvious complete lack of understanding of the title character - are glaring, fatal flaws for the movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

You just reminded me of a very funny moment when I attended the Thursday night premiere of Batman. Just after the Joker shoots at the plane and it crashes, my friend turned to me and said "Hey! The new batplane is a piece of crap!"

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
In addition to the absurdity of the Joker shooting down the Batwing with a revolver, we later see the revolver has a telescoping barrel. The Joker must have been a master engineer to get that to work.

I agree that the '89 Batmobile looks the best, but it looks like a show car. With such a long body and no ground clearance, it would be pretty impractical when it comes to navigating city streets and eluding pursuers. In fact, we see it get trapped by a construction vehicle, forcing Batman to temporarily abandon it.

In any case, I think we can all agree that Joel Schumacher's monstrosity is the absolute worst:

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/6/68/htf_imgcache_43280.jpeg] [/url]

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, that Batmobile is an affront to humanity.....just like everything else Schumacher did to the Batman franchise.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
to me the best thing the movie gave us was the inspiration for the cartoon that came after it in the 90's

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I'm really in the minority then, because I love that Batmobile. At the same time, I don't lump "Forever" in with "Batman & Robin".

Hot Wheels has been releasing a new line of Batmobiles, and the 1989 Batmobile and Batwing (I'm in the minority again, because I love the 89 Batwing) were next up, as the 66, 66 Batcycle, comic book, animated series and Tumbler have all been released. Haven't seen the 89 ones yet though.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
The Batman/Batman Returns is still my favorite design followed by the Tumbler from the new films. I dig the old one from the TV show as well. The ones in Batman Forever and Batman & Robin look ridiculous IMHO, but everybody has different tastes.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
The DVD reveals that it was designed from a dildo or something from an S & M magazine Schumacher showed the designers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks