What's new

Batman (1989) - Any UK Blu-Ray reviews? (1 Viewer)

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Hi folks (and a very Happy New Year!).

Has anyone purchased a copy of the UK Blu-ray of Batman (1989) yet, and if so is the picture and sound quality worth upgrading over the ST DVD? On paper at least I'd imagine Batman would be a prime candidate for upgrading what with all of its dark shadows and eye popping colours - a problematic film for DVD but (I'm hoping) a great vehicle to show off what Blu-ray can do?

Thanks!

- John

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Ordered my copy from Amazon.uk a few days ago and will post thoughts when it comes in. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
One thing I admit I have NEVER known is....

There is NO issue of PAL/NTSC compatibility/speedup issues/etc with BD titles, correct? It's only a region code distinction that allows or prevents titles from being viewed in other countries?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
...Although the PAL/NTSC issue still affects standard-definition supplements.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
HDnetmovies played the first movie last month. it look fine to me. batman returns has a better transfer.

Jacob

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

If I were in the UK or anywhere else with the PAL standard, I'd be inclined to make the BD jump for that benefit alone, that's fantastic.

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yer Da
I have them all, and they all look good IMO. They obviously improve as the series progresses, but as far as Warner titles that I expected very little from, they outshined my expectations.

Oh, and all the supplements are in 480p, so PAL/NTSC issues are irrelevant. FBI warnings upon discs loading.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't aware that any European/Australian BDs used PAL for special features. The main reason PAL DVDs exist is that the majority of old school PAL CRT TVs have difficulty with NTSC stuff. However, since one must have a fairly modern display in order to watch BDs - and all modern displays can cope just fine with NTSC, or rather 480i/480p - there's no point in converting special features into PAL. The only ones who would benefit from the inclusion of PAL would be those with an old PAL CRT TV... in which case they wouldn't be buying BDs anyway.

The only exception I can imagine is when the special features were shot/edited in 576i/576p, such as a BBC TV production or a European/Australian film where PAL video cameras are still used behind the scenes. This presumably would not pose a problem for potential importers in NTSC land, as their HDTVs are multi-format like ours. In other words, it's possible (but unlikely) for special features to be in PAL (576i/576p) but cheaper for the studios to keep special features in their original format (in the case of Batman, 480i) the world over.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be so sure. I understand that Torchwood, which was produced in 25 fps, is only available on Blu-Ray in 30fps in order to allow the one disc to be used worldwide either because US HDTVs are generally not able to accept 25fps, or US Bly-Ray players don't accept it (I forget which). If they can't even watch a PAL-equivalent HD picture in the US, there is no way they will be able to watch an SD PAL image.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
We can't watch anything in PAL without having special multi-system DVD players or VCRs, unless we watch on computer.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

Every time I browse for Blu-rays and check the back of each case, NEVER have I seen special features in PAL. So it looks like we all get the same stuff, folks.

It's nice to see there's finally a universal format.

If only they ended the region coding BS.

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yer Da
My apologies for not replying sooner, but the sound on all four movies is TrueHD 5.1. All the extras have been ported across from the 2005 special editions.

A word on PAL extras on certain discs: It DOES happen, but not from any of the major studios. You can guarantee 100%, that a Warner/Fox/Universal, etc disc bought in the UK or any other PAL territory, the extras will be in 480p. This only deviates with the likes of Hellboy II which like the US release, has a DVD of special features.

It's the smaller studios where you run the gauntlet on PAL extras. There are many discs out there which are region free, but have PAL content. I believe that it's player dependent on how the PAL material is handled,(or NOT handled). The other problem is movies that not only have PAL extras, but PAL opening logos, trailers, etc. The UK Son Of Rambo disc has plagued many US purchasers, it has numerous adverts and trailers in PAL format, before you even get to the disc menu. You may well be faced with a blank screen, wondering just what the hell is going on.

P.S. There is a rumor that the US release of Batman, will be a BD-25, with a 2nd DVD for the special features...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks