What's new

Bates Motel Season One: premieres 3/18/13 on A&E (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
iTunes had a six minute "teaser" to download free...I'm intrigued enough to at least check out the first episode....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Not as good as it should have been. I think the kid who plays Norman is interesting, but putting this in modern times is leading to a bunch of issues where the storyline just doesn't sell very well. I really disliked the attitude of "let's hide the body". If he was stopped in the middle of a rape, I can't figure out why they didn't just call the cops.
It seemed too contrived. I also don't like the use of the wayward brother who's hanging out in lala land.

This is one I will probably leave on my DVR and then just run through the whole season at once later.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Not as good as it should have been.
That about sums it up.

The recreation of Psycho production designer Robert Clatworthy and art director Joseph Hurley's sets for the motel and the house are a marvel. Certain shots, like the one facing the entry way from the top of those stairs, raise the neck hairs of our cultural memory.

But nothing designed original for the show shows any attempt at such acheivement. The Bates Motel of the film has been dumped into any undistinguished backwater in the Pacific Northwest.

Freddie Highmore is pitch perfect as Norman; if the show succeeds long term, he'll be the reason why. But the pieces around him just down seem to fit right. As you say, the contrivancies seem to quickly pile up.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, my biggest disappointment was that I didn't know it was taking place now, rather than in the 50's (if keeping with the timeline of the orginal movie). Kind of a shock when I saw a smartphone being used!

Freddie Highmore is A) either doing a phenomonal impersonation of Anthony Perkins or B) has an uncanny resemblance regarding his voice and mannerisms. LOVE him!

I'll see where it goes after a few episodes before deciding anything...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I predict a pretty quick cancellation for this. Although being a cable show they might give it more of a chance, but things aren't looking good.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Not sure who plays the sheriff but he sure looks alot like anthony perkins.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what they are hoping this to be...I was under the impression it was a prequel/backstory, but there are all these other stories being thrown into the mix making the whole thing kind of a muddled mess.

It's too bad, because I'm loving Freddie Highmore as Norman.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
disctrip said:
Not sure who plays the sheriff but he sure looks alot like anthony perkins.
That's Nestor Carbonell, probably most recently best known for playing "Richard" on Lost, and The Mayor of Gotham City in the Christian Bale Batman movies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Huh. In my head Carbonell looks nothing at all like Perkins. Has he been made to look radically different for this show?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
This week's episode was pretty decent. I REALLY wish they would delve deeper into the Norma/Norman relationship.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've missed the last two; glad to hear it turned around. It's on my DVR because Highmore is very good in this.. I'll put it in my weekend viewing

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This has been renewed for season 2.I've been enjoying it.You can download the Asian Sex Ring girl diary off iBookstore. I have it, but have yet to look through it.I loved the line from this weeks episode, "The Truth"When Emma said to Norman, "I can't imagine the shock. the guy you were really into, turning into a monster."Wonder who she was really saying it to (or about) :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I finally had a chance to catch up and watch all of season 1.I thought it had a satisfying ending. Looking forward to season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks