What's new

Bass shakers (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
If you're talking about a receiver that is used to run the rest of your system, nope.

HOWEVER, assuming that the RCA receiver is in addition to a home theater receiver, if your AV receiver has a pre-out for the LFE channel, you run that into the RCA's aux-in, then you can use it to power the bass shakers.

The bass shakers need an amp - they won't just just run off the "line out." They also need a "low" signal - if your AV amp handles the crossover duties for the LFE channel, you're set.

John H

Second Unit
They appear to have a rather noticeable peak around 50hz
Correct, the Aura's have a huge peak at 45Hz. When I used my RBH's an equalizer was used to flatten them out.

I have also read that some Aura users prefer using a
50 Hz lowpass FMOD crossover on the signal. A pair can be stacked for a steeper slope.

Reid,

The Aura's are rated at 4 ohms. If you are using a pair wire them in a series configuration for an 8 ohm load and drive them with one channel of your RCA receiver.

John

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Okay.....I have been wanting these for a while! I have a 7 foot couch what should I get? Thinking about 4 25watt or 2 50 watt or should I get 4 50 watt shakers? Thanks, my plan is to install them without anyone knowing then on movie night I get to see the reactions!
Jeff

Alan M

Second Unit
Jeff,
I have 2 50's in my 7 foot couch and its more then enough.I've also seen a post that mentioned having 4 25's in a 7 footer that worked well.Either way,you'll amaze and surprise your friends.
Happy shaking.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Since it doesn't necessarily have to be clean power, nor mono, nor 4 ohm, look at your local goodwill/salvation army for an old receiver. My 4 25 watters are running in two series off an old Marantz 2230 I had sitting. The receiver MUST work down to 20 hz... That takes out some PA amps, like the little Ratshack one.. The bottom line with these things is that they cost about $60/4, and your amp can be darn near anything.

I don't really "mind" the hump, since it seems to be where a lot of the LFE explosion effects tend to be... But that's only my perception - does anyone out there _really_ know differently?

One can argue that wiring 'em in series is wasteful, but hey, it babies my amp, plus, I suspect that having 2x the mass (even not moving as much) is better than having the increased "power."

I've still got the "bad" amp that came out of my Tiny Mity, and I may give that a shot... I can parallel the two series for a 4 ohm load...

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I have a sony DA4es powering my main speakers and sub, I do have an old HTIB receiver, so if I wanted to use that to power some bass shakers, how do I get the LFE signal to both the sub and the old receiver to the shakers. Is it a
Y splitter? here is where I need a bit of help

My receiver is currently in a closet area in the back of my room a few feet to the right of the main couch. The sub is in the front of the room between the main speakers connected by a 30ft sub cable. Does the cord split near the sub, or near the reciever? If it splits near the sub do I have to move the old receiver closer to the front of the room so the cord would reach. Basically how much flexibilty in placement is there? Are there longer cords etc. Thanks

Keith M.

Second Unit
how about:

1) AudioSource AMP-5.1 100 Watt Power Monoblock Amplifier

2) FMOD CROSSOVER 50 Hz LOW PASS FILTER

or should I just go with the sub amp mentioned earlier? Its about $60 more for the monoblock and filter, is it worth it??? Can I mount the sub amp inside a wall?

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
1) AudioSource AMP-5.1 100 Watt Power Monoblock Amplifier

2) FMOD CROSSOVER 50 Hz LOW PASS FILTER
WHY? Your AV receiver is taking care of the crossover chores for the LFE signal - you don't need to worry about anything past (in my case) 80, 100 or 125 hz (I keep it set at 80) going to the sub/shaker connections. Hence, any amp that'll go down to 20hz will work fine, since all you're sending it is the already crossed signal. Your amp won't see (depending on your AV receiver's crossover) more than a small amount of (dropping off fairly rapidly) signal above the crossover point.

Your mileage may vary here - You can probably just set it, and forget it. If you _really_ wanna tinker with it, just get the sub amp - it has an adjustable crossover. But since I turn mine off for music, the "auto on" feature on the sub amps would likely begin to irritate me. Besides, I like the lights on the Marantz...

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone tell me will this reciever work?
AMPLIFIER SECTION:
All 5 channels:
RT2280: each 80W at 8 ohm. 0.9% THD @1 kHz
Subwoofer channel: 100w at 8
Muting Attenuation: 65dB
Frequency Response: 40Hz to 20kHz +/-3dB
Signal to Noise Ratio: 65dB (Bypass mode)

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
stupid, stupid question I don't know why I can't figure this out on my own...So the does the fact that the old receiver is hooked up to the LFE output of the new receiver essentially turn the old receiver to a subwoofer amp of sorts. You wire the bass shakers w/speaker wire from the main channels etc but only LFE will be passed through them, am I getting this right? there won't be any other signals getting to the bass shakers. Thanks for being patient, jeez.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
40Hz to 20kHz
That pretty much says it. You won't have a lotta shakin' goin' on under the 40hz area... I guess that since it was a HTIB they were figuring that all the bass (belong to us...) would be handled by the sub. Does it say if the sub channel (the 100 watt one) will go lower? I'd put it into the sub channel, and run 'em that way - will it go 4 ohms?

Yeah - the old receiver, provided it can go to 20hz, becomes the sub amp. Since the receiver is only getting the LFE signal, that's all that goes out.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
The RCA RT2280 spec sheet I'm looking at says that it'll run 2 channels into 6 ohms at 80 watts from 20hz to 20khz under 0.9% THD. So if you run 'em only off the main channels, you may be okay. I'd run two 8 ohm series.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay Iam thinking of getting 4 bass shakers. So can anyone tell me will that RCA reciever get the job done?

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
So how will I wire them into the RCA then. I really want to order these tomorrow but only if they will work with my RCA. Please can someone go in depth and tell for if it will or will not work. And when I say work I mean work atleast past 65% efficent.

Alan M

Second Unit
Reid,when you purchase bass shakers,they come with a wiring diagram that explains how they are to be hooked up to an amp.If memory serves,I believe they give you 2 different wiring options.
As i stated earlier,my bass shakers are run by an old sony matrix surround sound receiver that has no LFe channel,so your rca should work fine.Wiring these is really very simple,just follow the directions that come with the shakers.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a good link for Bass Shakers:

Keohi Bass Shaker Info

He talks about the resonant peak, and in another link on the above page, tells you how to modify them to lower it...

I picked up 4 of them from PE, and one of their plate amps--great eye opener for guests...:)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question about partsexpress. Iam filling out my order form and for ordering options it only has US postal international air mail. Is there any other shipping method? And is the 33 estimated dollars canadian or american? Because there is no way iam spending 50 dollars for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks