What's new

Bass problems (2 Viewers)

Patri858

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
I just moved into a new place and have a few questions about my subs. I have two svs pb-10 nsd in a pretty small room. Before I moved I had these co-located which made it easier to get them in phase. They sounded great. Now I have seperated them to make them less visible in the room. I have them on both sides of the couch. I dont know if im doing the calibration right but this is what I did:

1. Used the recievers auto cal. (multi-eq)
2. Then Went back through using the recievers test tones and made sure all the speakers and one subwoofer were playing at 75db. ( I like the bass alittle hot). And I set the crossovers for all speakers to 80hz.
3. Then I disconnected the one sub and connected the other and also calibrated to 75db.
4. Then plugged both in and played the test tone again. If everything is working right I should get a 81db reading.
5. Ifooled around with the phase knob on the back of one sub until I got to this point.

The problem is that during music playback I can not really hear any bass. Then when I slip in a blu ray the bass rumbles the couch( which is what I want). I read that in small rooms their is a lowwer bass gain. Is this what is happening here? Also would a good sub eq work well. I was looking at the as-eq1.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the subs are an equal distance from your seat then both phase controls should be in the same position.

You only get the 6db increase when the subs are co-located. The extra increase drops the more the subs are apart. How much? Check your sub level on your receiver now. Run the auto calibration with both subs. It will drop 3 or 4 db.

A Radio Shack SPL meter is much cheaper than a sub EQ. You can use it and free test tones to plot your sub's in-room response. Once plotted, then you can determine if you need a sub EQ.

Patri858

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Alright thats a good thing to know. I have a radio shack meter but I will have to plot the response in my room.

Thanks for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks