What's new

Bass Management - Yamaha RX-V800 (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
With the Yamaha RX-V800, what is the cutoff frequency when setting the bass to BOTH the MAINS and the SUBWOOFER?
I understand that when bass is sent to subwoofer ONLY the cutoff is 90Hz, so I was wondering if this differs when sending bass to BOTH (mains and subwoofer)?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Walt,
It’s not clear exactly what you are trying to find out. Do you mean operating the mains as “large” instead of “small?” If that’s the case, there will not be a cut-off for the mains; they will operate full-range. The cut-off for the sub will remain the same.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Walt, You can approach this several ways. It hinges on setting L/C/R spkrs to SMALL or LARGE, as Wayne notes.
First, LFE signals are derived and decoded from DD/DTS DVD sound tracks, and using the rcvr's SUB OUT sends these under 90Hz signals to the sub. Then there's the low BASS, like from music CDs, and even TV audio run thru the rcvr that often will be picked up on the SUB!
In the BOTH mode, if your fronts/rears are all set to LARGE, the MAINS/REARS reproduce the full bass as well as the SUB. This gives a bass overlap under 90hz and can sound boomy. Not such a good setup, since if tends to defeat the purchase of SUB handling all the low bass sound.
In the BOTH mode w/ fronts and rears set to SMALL, all the low frequency signals under 90hz are sent to the LFE channel and then to the SUB. See manual page #39.
Many HTFers advocate just setting MAINS to SMALL, regardless of type of spkrs, but this seems counter-intuitive to those w/ floorstander mains ("I paid for these big floorstanders, so why shouldn't I get my bass outa them?!")
Keep yr spkrs set to small for watching DVDs, but try listening to 2-chl music w/ mains set to large and bass/out set to bass/out as MAIN (no sub); next, mains set to small and SUB only; I predict you'll find the latter cleaner. Finally, you can try BOTH with CD music and SMALL for comparison. Your room acoustics and spkr placement will vary the effect, of course.
Hope this helps.
bill
------------------
[Edited last by Bill Kane on November 11, 2001 at 01:23 PM]
[Edited last by Bill Kane on November 11, 2001 at 01:24 PM]

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the very informative piece on bass management. You are correct about the floor standing speakers. My mains have 12" woofers which, before I got this sub, had things rumbling. It seems such a waste to have such speakers set to small. I have however, had the mains set to small ever sinch I got the sub. I was curious as to exactly how the bass management worked when you have large mains and you have only the MAINS set to LARGE, everything else set to SMALL (C/R) and subwoffer set to BOTH.
Thanks Again!

John H

Second Unit
When I owned my DSP-A1 when selecting Both it was the Main channels low frequencies that were produced by the Mains and the Subwoofer preout simultaneously.
The .1 LFE channel would only be produced through the LFE preout.
This was misleading as it was listed under LFE OUT in the speaker setup menu.
John
------------------
Link Removed

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
For quite a while there I thought low bass and LFE were the same. It appears that LFE refers only to DD/DTS signals. This is how the subwoofer function can be confusing to someone. I believe when the average person thinks about bass, they automatically think subwoofer, whereas with these A/V receivers the subwoofer is listed as the source for the LFE signal. I'm still not sure on this bass vs LFE?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
walt, this is a cut and paste so I am not sure the link is hot; but here tis.
If you want to read a competent article on the topic, try Brian Florian's article on LFE at Secrets: Link Removed
ok, it works. This will print at 7 pp. for yr files.------------------
[Edited last by Bill Kane on November 11, 2001 at 08:20 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks